New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2016-17 Season Club ideas

Started by Jody, May 31, 2016, 11:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya folks,

Now that the 2015-16 season has come to an end, it is time to start looking towards the next season.
Currently, there is no program chair, so I am sure that the exec would always appreciate ideas and thoughts to make the club bigger and stronger.
   With only a few members showing up to the meetings, we are somewhat limited on the speakers we get in. I know that we are hoping to get Gary Elson to reschedule.
    CAOAC has quite a line up of speakers available, though getting them out for the meeting could be difficult, but it could be looked into.
   Oliver Lucanus is close, but I know he is very busy, so can be hard to schedule.

Other things to look at, and these are items that club members have mentioned.
Location - Is there a better location? Maybe more central? Now that the club is smaller, what about going back to Jack Purcell?

Mini Auction or Vendors tables - these are a great way to share stuff in the club. I know that one problem with the mini auctions was a lot of time being spent dealing with junk in the club. What if we limited it to fish and plants for the mini auction, and if you have other stuff to bring in, a vendor's table can be had and they are responsible to sell it.

Obviously, one thing we want for the club is to get the membership at the meetings up. This way we can get a full exec going again.

Any ideas and things you want to see next season (beyond Cichlids of the world pt 2..lol) post them here!

Jody

charlie

Jody , great initiative  on starting this thread.
The only thing I would comment on at this time, if the club see moving meeting location as a good idea, it needs to be acted on now, despite the summer off.
New rental contracts is done July - August if memory serves me well?
It will also give time for the word to get out.
I personally think it's worth a try, it cannot get much worse in attendance.
For the uninitiated,Jack Purcell  is the place the club had its most successful meeting attendance , so much so the club was asked to find a bigger hall , due to constantly  breaking the allowable capacity

Regards

George2

Quote from: Jody on May 31, 2016, 11:10:06 PM
Hiya folks,
  Other things to look at, and these are items that club members have mentioned.
Location - Is there a better location? Maybe more central? Now that the club is smaller, what about going back to Jack Purcell?
Any ideas and things you want to see next season (beyond Cichlids of the world pt 2..lol) post them here!

Jody

One thing I do like about the current location is that it is right beside the transitway. That's a big bonus for people who take the bus. Jack Purcell is also a convenient location, since it is walking distance to many major bus routes.  :)

By the way, I really enjoyed your presentation on Cichlids. I look forward to part 2.  :)

Thanks,
George

Jody

Thanks George,

I have some more unusual fish lined up for part 2!

I agree, accessibility has to be a factor.  On or near a major bus route helps for sure. I know for years, that was how I got to the club most of the time.

I know the exec work pretty hard to keep the club going, plus are working on getting Aquamania going for next year. They have a lot on their plates, and I think any help we can give, whether it is suggestions, or volunteering or whatever can be appreciated.

Jody