New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Nerite snail going at it constantly...

Started by rivermuse, June 27, 2016, 09:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rivermuse

I had a lone Nerite snail in my planted for a very long time. Yesterday I added one more and I think he is not letting the new one go. I checked some pictures online and looks like they are mating. I also read the conditions for successful eggs and hatch - which seem impossible in my tank. Should I be worried of a Nerite snail take over?

George2

Quote from: rivermuse on June 27, 2016, 09:05:54 AM
I had a lone Nerite snail in my planted for a very long time. Yesterday I added one more and I think he is not letting the new one go. I checked some pictures online and looks like they are mating. I also read the conditions for successful eggs and hatch - which seem impossible in my tank. Should I be worried of a Nerite snail take over?

The eggs won't hatch because they need brackish water. You may notice alot of eggs, though.  They look like little, white sesame seeds.

limmer

Might be interesting to take the eggs out and put them in brackish water to see if they hatch.

rivermuse

I will keep an eye and report back if I find them. Its a heavily planted tank so hopefully I will be able to spot them. There are having marathon sessions... lol

lucius

I find both nerite and assassin snail eggs a PITA to clean off.  It's almost like they are glued on.

rivermuse

Lucius looks like you pressed the right button. I looked up and read crazy stories about these eggs. Do you know what is the gestation period for these to start laying eggs. I might have to quarantine them.

George2

Quote from: rivermuse on June 28, 2016, 09:28:19 AM
Lucius looks like you pressed the right button. I looked up and read crazy stories about these eggs. Do you know what is the gestation period for these to start laying eggs. I might have to quarantine them.

It seems like only some snails lay alot of eggs.  I once had one that laid eggs like crazy. The eggs were everywhere and were a pain to remove. Eventually I just gave up trying.  :)   I find driftwood looks ugly when it is covered in nerite snail eggs. Luckily, most of the eggs were on the glass, which were easily removed with a glass scraper.

lucius

Quote from: rivermuse on June 28, 2016, 09:28:19 AMDo you know what is the gestation period for these to start laying eggs.

Not sure but I put in two nerite snails in my goldfish tank about a year ago and noticed eggs a few weeks ago.

rivermuse

Ok confirmed now I have bout 6 small sesame seed sized white eggs on my driftwood. Thinking of guaranteeing them into jars for couple of weeks and putting them in separate tanks. I have not started cleaning the nerite eggs etc but from what I have read so far.. it certainly seems like a major PITA

Kelly

I have them all over my drift wood in my tank, I was hoping that the fish would eat them but that didn't happen. They laid a lot of eggs about 6 months ago but none lately. I don't think I can remove them without damaging the wood.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.