New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best light for?

Started by Jellyanne, July 10, 2016, 09:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jellyanne

Hi there guys!
As I changed all of my aquariums setup I am going for a bit of a new look.
I am looking for lights that will enhance certain fish and shrimp colors. I figured maybe someone here knows best!
So which one to show off red fish and shrimps?
Blue fish and shrimps?
and yellow fish and shrimps?

Thank you!
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

wolfiewill

For your Lampeys, any LED or metal halide. I have had them under both but the lower light levels generally shows they're eye colour the best. So I'm suggesting TMC Grobeam 600s. If you buy a controller you can dim the lights to their best advantage. Red colours stand out best in a Dutch style setup and at the moment I'm using Hagen Glo HO-T5s with a 3:1 ratio of 6500 kelvin tubes and a rosette like the Colormax. I'm also presently investigating the purchase of an alternative to the BuildMyLED Dutch Planted. I really want to do another Dutch style tank and was going to buy a set of them until they stopped making the aquarium lights. As for the blues and yellows, I try to get 8000 kelvin lights but the most important factor for blues imhe is what the fish and Shrimp are fed. The fish need live and frozen food daily (as for Congo tetras), and the shrimp need Spirulina regularly (I feed thrice weekly with one weekly feeding of a high animal protein). And from the AGA convention, an expert stated in her presentation that the only way to get good colour from shrimp so to put them in tanks by themselves.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain