New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Low tech planted tank

Started by Caitiepi, July 31, 2016, 08:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitiepi

Does anybody have any recommendations for a plant bulb to use in a low tech 30 gal planted tank? I'm currently using an Aqueon T8 Floramax plant bulb but I find the tank waaaaay too dark, the only plants in it that are doing well are the anubias and Amazon swords. I had bacopa and red ludwigia that melted off. I have some sad looking water wisteria that refuses to give up the ghost, but isn't really progressing. I should probably mention that the tank has only been running about a month. I dose liquid ferts (Seachem Flourish and Seachem Excel) on a weekly basis following a 50% water change and I have Seachem root tabs to be used on a monthly bases as well. I put down soil beneath my substrate as well hoping that this would help the plants with nutrients. I have my light on for 12 hours with a two hour photoperiod half way through. Tank temp is a steady 76, water is moderately soft, ph 6.8.
If anyone has any helpful advice about a bulb or if I'm doin something terribly wrong any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid

lucius

Not sure what kelvin the Aqueon T8 Flormax runs at but it's probably close to 5000 K.  I would try a bulb that runs at 6500K.

http://www.bigalspets.com/ca/zoo-med-ultra-sun-fluorescent-lamps.html

Caitiepi

I tried looking up the kelvin for it but I couldn't find it online or on the box. That ZooMed one sounds pretty good! Thanks for the recommendation!
90 gallon community tank:
Red Rainbowfish
Boesemani Rainbowfish
Roseline Sharks
Rainbow Shark
Rosy Danios
Zebra Danios
Siamese Algae Eater
Electric Blue Acara
Green Severums
Rotkeil Severum
Black Convict Cichlid