New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

29G planted tank (updated)

Started by Ruber, August 17, 2016, 04:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

Hi there,   I took a break 2 years ago after selling all my aquariums,  Now I got a nice 29G tank that is setup. with cheap gravel, and thats it,  No fish and no plants yet,   I do have tabs I can use but looking to  buy plant substrate instead of Gravel.

For lighting I only have  1 x T8 20W so close to 1per gallon but planing on getting a light fixture in a week or 2. Searching Kijiji daily to see if I can get a 30" fixture of maybe 2xT5's, If not I'll get Finnex LED planted from the states.

I don't plan on using CO2 now but mite do the DIY with 2L bottles to start. Makes a nice project to do with the kids.

Anyways Heading to big als later today and need a hand...

Whats the best plant substrate I should buy to grow plants? Seachem flourite?  Carib Sea Eco-Complete?

20 Pounds bag ok for 29G? and should I cap it with gravel or just use that?
I do have Flourish tabs I can use also.   but thinking I should buy some Laterite to put under the new substrate?!?

Any help to get started would be great.

Regards
Mike ( Aka Ruber)

charlie

I would suggest you start with a soil based substrate.
There is the option of the Walstad method, which utilizes garden soil, i have not personally tried it long termso i have no real experience with it.
The cons of it as far as i understand it , it`s not conducive to disruption like removing & re scaping.
Again form my very little knowledge of it , is it`s not something i would attempt unless i have a good understanding of planted tanks, that said it`s cheap & some have reported good success with it.
Since it`s such a small tank 1X 9 kg bag on any reputable commercial soil substrate would not break the bank.
I was talking to La Niche last week & he mentioned they will soon have access to some planted tank stuff, perhaps you can have a chat with Marc Andre about soil substrate.
Regards

Ruber

I tried the garden soil way and what a mess.   Someone else here suggested Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder, I am reading up on it now and heading there tomorrow,   Mite have found a T5HO dual light fixture also, waiting for a response.

Heading to Big Als tomorrow,  Need a nice piece of driftwood also.

lucius

If you go on the Seachem website, they have a substrate calculator to figure out how much you need.

The Tropica soil is nice because you don't have to rinse it.

Ruber

Perfect, Hopefully big als has it in stock,   I am also picking up a Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus PRO Lighting System, My wife gave me the OK!!!! :P

Ruber

Ok so today I emptied my tank and changed the gravel to tropical substrate,  Added the rocks and the wood I had been soaking in water for a week.   Setup everything because tomorrow I am getting my plants and will fill up the tank.  Also bough a Current USA + Pro for the aquarium.

I left room in front for grass and left room in the back for background plants,   Not sure what I'll get yet but i'll ask the guys at La niche tomorrow when I'll go buy the plants.

Also I only have a Aquaclear 50 on the left side, Should I get a smaller filter for the right to make sure there is plenty of circulation or get a small Powerhead?

lucius

I like running two filters myself.  This way, you can clean one and leave the other alone.  Then next month, clean the other one.

Ruber

I got a powerhead for now, took care of my dead spot I had and put a big of circulation in there,   here is a updated picture.

Not done yet, Missing one rear plant on the left side. And adding my java on my driftwood.

aciport

It looks like you have TC plants in your tank. A quick suggestion, when planting, portion them out into smaller portions. This will allow for greater coverage plus, my experience is that the plants tend to grow quicker. Food for thought.

sas

Looking great! Can't wait to see the tank once it starts to fill in. Hard to see but one suggestion, if you don't have a background, might look at that, since in my opinion they really help to make your tank pop and also hide wires and such at the back.
Really love the wood you chose.