New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Starting up the Fluval Spec V

Started by smalltownfan, August 20, 2016, 01:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

I'm starting back and am starting small for now. I am working on setting up an invert tank with plants but it seems to me that the stock lighting doesn't seem to be bright enough. I still have a leftover 10" Reefbrite 6 LED (3 White/3 Blue) fixture from my old SW nano that seems to be brighter.

Would the stock light be enough for plants or should I swap it out? I would like some carpet plants and mosses.

Thoughts?

I still remember my time on the Green Side and had a lot of success until the shut down. I would like to start that part up again in the near future..... but not with a 120g.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

charlie

Welcome back Kotter :), nice to have you back.
I have no personal knowledge of the stock lighting, but i would guess you should be able to do low light plants with it,a few to consider would be small crypts, Uniflora, Marsila Crenata & the staple ferns & Anubias.
I have seen some where hobbyist have upgraded the lights to the Finnex Fugeray.
I personally think the reefbrite will not show good color rendering, it may be bias to the blue spectrum, that said it will grow plants.
Errol