New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Killifish

Started by soleil1980, September 26, 2016, 10:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleil1980

Hi,

I am a planted 30g without fish at the moment and I am looking for a new challenge.  I am used to having tetras and livebearers and would like to try killifish.  Anyone know where I can buy some good specimens?  A LFS or a local breeder?  I did some reasearch and was told it was fairly easy to keep these beautiful fish. 
Feel free to give info if you are a killifish owner :)
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

transporter8367

Bigals has lots of them

Make sure top of tank is closed off as they are jumpers,thats how i lost mine.

wolfiewill

I hope you know that some are annuals only, and won't live past a year.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

daworldisblack

Plenty of non-annuals as well :) The common ones you'll find at the store are the Fundulopanchax Gardneri, Golden Wonder Killi, Rocket/Clown Killi, Aphyosemion Australe and maybe the odd Nothobranchius. All except the last are non-annuals meaning they'll last a few years with care. If you're interested in fundulopanchax gardneri nsukka, you can PM me.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Jody

Actually, many of the annual killies will live several years in aquariums. The reason they are called annuals, is because the ponds/pools/puddles they are in dry up, and only the eggs survive to hatch the next rainy season..