New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rio Chacamax salvini

Started by Jody, October 07, 2016, 08:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya,

So I picked up a couple amazing fish today,and thought I would share. They are currently in a QT tank, but will probably be moved up to my 125 in a couple of weeks.
They are the Trichromis salvini "Rio Chacamax". The super red form of the salvini. Until recently you couldn't find them in Canada (and not many places in the states) but I was able to get some. Hefty price tag, but I hope they colour up nicely.
Here is a picture of a female (not mine).
I will post pictures of mine when they are settled in.

Jody

Al

great fish Jody. The 125 is a good size tank for them, hope they get along OK.
Good lookers for sure those chacamax.
Good luck with them.
What else is in the 125?
great to see interest in new world cichlids in Ottawa and not just africans

Jody

I am still trying to fully decide what to keep in it.. right now there are some firemouths, electric blue acara, my extra pair of regani pikes.. but I am considering switching it up and maybe getting some H. deppii and/or H. labridens and nicaranguense
As a cichlid guy, I like to try and keep different things. It is tough to find unusual stuff often ,  but there are a lot of great American cichlids out there. It is all just bringing up the demand.
Jody

Al

Jody, I agree that there are some stunning fish from SA and CA
The h labridens seems like a real stunner, for sure. There was a nice article with some terrific pics of H Labridens in the March/April 2014 Amazonas done by Juan Miguel Artigas that would have captivated anybody and convinced them to keep these fish and give them a go.
If you don't have a back copy of this issue and are interested and haven't seen it, let me know and I'll bring it in some time.
I have seen H Labridens listed the odd time by Rapps @ TUIC but they don't last long.
Good luck in the search - if anyone can located importers it should be you !!

Al

LOL - just noticed Spencer has h labridens "media luna" in stock - you probably knew that :<)
If I wasn't shutting down my tanks Id be all over those although I don't know if we'd get the same yellows that they have in the wild with what we feed them in captivity

Jody

So an update on the chacamax salvinis.
After a couple of weeks in their temporary tank. they killed off one of the females and badly beat another male,  but it looked like a pair.
Eventually the pair got moved to a 100 gal with a few others.and today I noticed the female guarding eggs.
The other male has recover and is in a temporary holding tank alone for now.