New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My tank Exploded!!!

Started by sanny, November 13, 2016, 07:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanny

60 gallons flooded and ruined my wooden floor that had costed me $4000..... no more fish keeping for me........ also don't buy Marineland 60 gallon aquariums from Petsmart as I bought it new a month ago and it had absolutely no problem.

transporter8367

transporter8367

Is it Heartland LED or Heartland Fluorescent?

sanny

The stand is fine, tank bursted.

George2

Quote from: sanny on November 13, 2016, 07:42:16 PM
60 gallons flooded and ruined my wooden floor that had costed me $4000..... no more fish keeping for me........ also don't buy Marineland 60 gallon aquariums from Petsmart as I bought it new a month ago and it had absolutely no problem.

Yikes! That is my ultimate fear! 

lucius

Quote from: sanny on November 13, 2016, 09:46:29 PM
The stand is fine, tank bursted.

Did it burst at the seams or did the glass break?  I'm assuming your stand was level.

You should contact Marineland to see what type of compensation they can give you.

transporter8367

I have same tank, it is very narrow, only 12.5 inches wide.
Not a good tank for african cichlids so if you have rocks piled up and 1 topples over or when you are rearranging rocks, very dangerous as you can easily hit side of tank crack it and not know it until it blows from pressure.

I asked him questions but all he says is tank exploded.
Just like last week when he hooked up hoses on his Eheim backwards
Ive never heard of brand new tanks exploding unless there is human error.

bitterman

It can happen if there is a flaw in the glass from manufacture.

Bruce

Al

Sorry to hear about your mishap, not a fun scenario for sure.
Hopefully this doesn't end your hobby aspirations. While unfortunate, defective tank episodes can happen for many reasons (if it is indeed a tank defect).
However, in a similar situation, if you had a car blow an engine it wouldn't mean that you would never drive/buy a car again.
Cellphones die, PC's crash, home furnaces give up.....
The odds are slim in the above scenarios but they do happen.

I think it is unfair that you take it out on Marineland and suggest in your post not buying their product because of this, although I can appreciate your frustration at this early point in the follow-up.
Contact PS and ask them how they can help you in the follow-up with Marineland.
Obviously, Marineland will want to know what kind of stand it was on, was it level side to side, corner to corner with no twisting/torsion etc, etc.

Quote from transporter 8367
I asked him questions but all he says is tank exploded.
Just like last week when he hooked up hoses on his Eheim backwards
Ive never heard of brand new tanks exploding unless there is human error.

transporter8367 - is this comment really helpful? a little compassion would be nice rather than suppositions

I think Bruce also brought up a good point - sometimes there can be a glass defect which can't really be blamed on the aquarium manufacturer.

Good luck with your follow-up.

Mike L

I too feel bad for you. Most of my tanks are in the basement family room. My 55(great tank for Julie's and shellies) burst a seam last winter.  Was an old tank.  Lost about 1/3 the water.  What a mess. One of my 2 tower speakers was badly damaged as well as my carpeting. Caught it in the evening. Was up until the next morning vacuuming,  getting fans going, lifting carpet and stripping underpadding,  and setting up temp housing.  It happened but I  got over it. This is the risk,  but as AL pointed out, #!?/ happens. If there is anything I  can do to help let me know. 
Mike

Jody

Ah, that always sucks to have happen.
It is not a common thing to have a tank let go/burst, but it does happen. Marineland tanks are normally pretty good, and Big Al's has carried them for years. The amount that we see back is pretty small (maybe 1-2 a year,  with hundreds sold).
Contact Marineland, they are pretty good with their customer service. The big thing they will want to know is if you are making an insurance claim or not. If not, they normally arrange to get their customers new tanks within a day or two of contact. If it is one of their stands, you can let them know that it was soaked and often they will replace that as well.
Don't let a little water discourage you. :)
Good luck.
Jody

veron

Let your floor dry out and it should be fine.  I've had some fairly large floods etc. from tanks but I've never had one explode.
Aquariums can take some abuse and even out of level a bit but they cannot take pressure points. Tempered bottoms/glass can explode if you drill or wack them hard enough. But until you reply back we won't know. Good luck.

transporter8367

Hey Sanny
It would be a good idea to let everyone know where and how tank let go.
You only posted My tank exploded, many users have asked you questions with no replies.
Guess you're busy mopping

exv152

As a moderator, Just a word of caution, let's continue to keep it a productive open discussion without any product or store bashing, and let's also keep it friendly towards one another.
8)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sanny

I replaced the tank, and will be around still. One thing got me upset is that I lost a lot of fish that I got from someone here and he was closing down all his tanks and I wanted to keep that legacy going. He really liked them and had no choice to getting rid of them. I also lost a few rare Cichlids that are hard to replace.

The odds of this happening like Al and Jody said, is low so lets hope nothing happens anymore. The way I set up the tank is like how I set up all my tanks so it must be manufacture defect. The back panel completely broke.

transporter8367 - I did not have piled rocks, neither does an Eheim filter have to do with anything about this topic.

101DalmatianMollies

Sanny I'm so sorry to hear this!! When I saw the title of your post, my hope was that it was a euphemism for an explosion of baby fishies!

I am glad to hear that you're still with the hobby. This has also been a huge fear of mine because, except for my one ten gallon which is a Marineland tank and is 5, almost 6 years old, my tanks are all second hand. I've had my 33-gallon for just over 3 years and, touch wood, no issues yet but it's always a big fear of mine.

This thread has raised a really good point though, something I hadn't thought of and I hope you don't mind if I ask this question on your thread, but we're moving to a new house next month, and it was built in 1935 (new to us), so the floors are a bit creaky. When choosing a new spot for my 33-gallon and it's stand, what should I be taking into account to prevent this from happening?

Not to say that it was an unlevel floor that caused your issue (dare I say tragedy? RIP Fishes :'() Sanny, as it sounds perhaps like there may have been a manufacture's defect, but your thread has brought to light some concerns. Big hugs, I'm so sorry :(