New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The 'one-two punch' algae treatment method

Started by wolfiewill, November 14, 2016, 11:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

I just came across this via my favourite forum (UKAPS) which referenced to The Planted Tank dot net site. I wonder if anyone has done this locally. I am really considering it in a tank that I dare not add SAE but have a beard algae problem. Here is the link. Tom Barr is the writer.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/203684-one-two-punch-whole-tank-algae-treatment.html
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

lucius

I'm trying it out on my 75 gallon.  I do not have any SAE type fish in their either.  But I'm starting off with low dosages of hydrogen peroxide and slowing increasing the amount every water change so I don't kill anything.  It seems to be working as I have less BBA on my anubias now.

wolfiewill

Quote from: lucius on November 15, 2016, 10:19:24 AM
..... I'm starting off with low dosages of hydrogen peroxide and slowing increasing the amount every water change....

What dosage levels are you talking about? This seems like a good thing to do ahead of the final dose of 4 tablespoons per 10 gallons.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

lucius

I started off really slow, 1/2 for a couple water changes, 3/4 and now I'm a one tablespoon.  I don't want to risk melting any plants either. 

wolfiewill

And what are you at now? And what livestock have you got in that tank? Any sensitive fish or shrimp?

lucius

One tablespoon now.  Do rummynose tetras count as sensitive fish?  And just cherry shrimp in there.

exv152

I find the other version of measuring hydrogen peroxide more practical. I dose 3ml of H2O2 for every gallon of tank water. I don't do the excel (along with the H2O2) anymore since I found it made little difference for me, but I definitely find the H2O2 more affective at killing a wide range of algae especially BBA. The other thing, and I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the link, but your best bet is to repeat the treatment several times in close intervals (a day or two apart) since I found algae like BBA can be quite resilient.

Also, buy your H2O2 at the dollar store, it's waaaay cheaper.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Rex

I used this method on my tank about 8 months ago when I had a huge beard algae problem. It worked fantastically. I only needed one treatment and I think I used a bit more peroxide than was recommended. I also kept double dosing excel for a few weeks afterwards. It took about a week or two after the treatment to clear up. The beard algae will turn a dark orange/red at first then lighten up over time from pink to white until it dies off and separates completely.

wolfiewill

Quote from: Rex on April 03, 2017, 02:01:51 AMIt worked fantastically. I only needed one treatment and I think I used a bit more peroxide than was recommended.

It worked really well for me as well. I hadn't seen parts of the hardscape for months. Now it's completely free of algae except on the glass below the level of the substrate. I did remove all the live stock including the shrimp. So I didn't find out which of them would be sensitive to the treatment.

Quote from: Rex on April 03, 2017, 02:01:51 AMI also kept double dosing excel for a few weeks afterwards. It took about a week or two after the treatment to clear up.

I didn't do anything else after the initial treatment, and it still took about 10 to 14 days for the full effect. I also thought I'd lost my HC 'cause it turned pale on the surface and looked a little ragged, but it recovered quickly and looks as good as it ever did. I'm really pleased and will do this again.