New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tiny tank stocking help

Started by matttimms49, November 18, 2016, 02:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hello forum.

I have been given a 2.5 gal tank and was looking at also getting a small 5/6 gal tank. I'm planning on planting these tanks as my firsttank, a 10 gallon isn't planted.

I was hoping to get some advice for stocking these guys. I would prefer to have only fish as I'm not a fan of shrimp and snails but am aware that the small size would mean some tiny fish.

All advice/info would be great. Even what tank to get for the 5/6gal. Are there any good kits available for a good price in the Ottawa stores?

Cheers
Matt

Gilbotron

The problem with tiny tanks like that is keeping the water quality stable, so I recommend hardy fish unless you can keep up with the maintenance schedule. There are tons of nano fish available that will fit, so it all depends on your preference.  Those tanks are too small for really active swimmers or fish needing larger schools.  The 2.5 you're really limited to shrimp or 1 or 2 tiny fish.  You have a few more options with the 6 (betta, dwarf gourami, dwarf cories, peacock gudgeon, neon/cardinal/ember tetras, mosquito rasboras, etc.).

I have a 6 gallon fluval edge.  They look great fully enclosed in glass, but are a total headache to work in with such a small opening so I wouldn't recommend for a planted tank unless you stick with low and slow growing plants.  The stock lights aren't bright (and only focus in the middle area) so its not suitable for carpeting plants without some upgrades.   

matttimms49

Great, thanks for the information. I ended up doing 1 4 gallon tank instead of the 2 separate nano's.

It has a aquaclear 20 on it. And I've added some plants on there.  I was hoping to get a scarlet danio as they only grow to 1 inch. The guy in my pet store did mention putting 3 in a 2.5. Which I think is a little much. I was hoping to do 1 with 3 chili rasboras.

What does the forum think?

Cheers,

Gilbotron

3 Scarlet Danios might be ok if it was 1 male and 2 females.  The males get very territorial.  I had 2 males and 4 females in a heavily planted 6 gallon, and the males scrapped a lot.  They are a difficult fish to keep though - they need live food. If it isn't moving they wont eat it.

1 scarlett and 3 chili's should work from a bioload perspective, but not sure if chili's need to be in groups of 6 or more to be happy.

lucius

Last time I was at LaNiche, they had a few tanks with micro fish.  Suggest you check them out and see if there's something you like.  BA's east has some also.

Both places have small tank kits as well.