New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Baby ghost shrimp die off?

Started by Jessi Tench, November 21, 2016, 02:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessi Tench

So one of my big ghost shrimp gave birth last night, I had her in a home made breeder box (yougurt container) with some plant bits for the babies to hide in and munch on. This moring I had 30 or so baby shrimp, all swimming around near the surface. Now it's 2 PM and every single one of them is dead... what could possibly have happened??

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

lucius

Was there any water circulation in the breeder box?  Maybe they died from a lack of water movement?

Jessi Tench

Quote from: lucius on November 21, 2016, 06:27:35 PM
Was there any water circulation in the breeder box?  Maybe they died from a lack of water movement?
Can that kill them? I didnt know! I'll probably just let them spawn in the tank next time, that has some very light flow.

Shawn84

Most likely die off from not enough food source.  Did you have any plants in the breeder box?
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Jessi Tench

Quote from: Shawn84 on November 22, 2016, 03:01:51 PM
Most likely die off from not enough food source.  Did you have any plants in the breeder box?
Some sprigs of water whisteria, a big lump of java moss, and some powderised OmegaOne flake... I don't think they starved

Shawn84

A picture of the homemade breeder box would help.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Jessi Tench

Quote from: Shawn84 on November 22, 2016, 07:55:49 PM
A picture of the homemade breeder box would help.
It was just a yougurt container with tiny holes poked in it... plus the plants, they were tpo small for a store bought breeder box