New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting lighting lighting

Started by saltyguy1980, November 29, 2016, 12:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltyguy1980

so just got a smoking good deal on a 150 gal saltwater tank but its old t8 lighting  what are peoples suggestions on up grading my lights to keep some corals and stuff  whats the best options

Nuggs

I personally run Kessils with T5 supplement

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BadTiming

Depends on what you want to keep as far as corals.
The first thing you need to do is determine what you want in your piece of the ocean based on your size of tank. Google will be your best friend, research, research, research. Determine what types of fish, types of coral, inverts etc...you want as they all have to be able to live together. Ensure the equipment skimmer, flow, heater, lights, TEST KITS ( good ones as the information you get from them, determines what parameters you need to adjust as the tank grows) QT tank etc...will be able to support your reef and your wallet.

Best part, go slow enjoy your reef as it progresses, watch the fish and coral grow. As it grows you'll have to adjust your tanks parameter's.

Currently upgrading

Sharbuckle

What is your budget? T5 suplemented with LED is best IMO.

mysterysnail

Again as Sharbuckle said budget plays a big part.
Also what features you want play a big part. do you want to be able to control with a remote, built in timer, computer hookup, full spectrum control.

Also depends on what you mean by some corals.
Softies and some LPS? T5's or a decent LED (or both) and you're golden.
If you eventually plan to try your hand at LPS, Anemone's or clams then High End or High power LED's IMO.
Keep your eye out on Kijiji for deals obviously, and there's a Facebook group called "TheReefers Ottawa/Gatineau" where some amazing deals on coral and equipment go up. (Including awesome deals on tanks)

I just got a brand new 300W fixture for $100 for my 65 gallon reef. The light, even though its cheap can keep pretty much anything I could dream about in it. No worries on replacing bulbs, and looks amazing.

Also shop around for the local saltwater stores. Some are much higher prices then others, and some are Vastly more willing to assist you with detailed questions.

As others have said take it slow, and plan well. Nothings worse then buying too weak a light or too small a skimmer and having to buy it all over again in a few months.

Anyways, if this is your first saltwater tank, Welcome to the hobby!

Sharbuckle

What he said :)

I will have a much more useful answer when I know the budget.