New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Happy December!

Started by ben851, December 01, 2016, 10:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben851

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum thanks to receiving a "free" 33 gallon tank from my cousin. Free in quotes, since I've ended up getting addicted and spending several hundred since then!

My first tank set up was a little "showy" and not a natural set up. At the time, I thought that was what I wanted... then I found all these wonderful shots of natural looking planted tanks! Last week during black friday, I found a great deal on a 65 gallon tank with the stand and pulled the trigger. I plan on doing a nice low-tech planted tank with this. I've got some driftwood on order, and I'm currently trying to find a good deal on some starter plant clippings! If anyone has some spare clippings they want to sell, please send me a PM! The people on Kijiji dont' seem to be getting back to me.

Current Fish:
3x Sunburst Platies (All male, not advisable, but they seem to have established themselves)
4x Zebra Danios (I know I should have 5+, and I did at one point, however a couple bit the biscuit.)
1x Clown Pleco
5x Australian Rainbow Fish

Here's my old tank (the Gouramis unfortunately passed away very quickly. They were on their last legs at the pet store, and didn't take the move well)

And my new tank after about 10 rinses of the sand:

Looking forward to chatting with you all in the future!

Thanks,
Ben

limmer

Welcome.
Too bad you missed the last OVAS meeting.
We had a mini-auction and there were lots of plants.
Maybe we will see you at the meeting.

ben851

Yes, I kicked myself after finding out that I missed the auction by one day... Next time!

Gilbotron

What kind of substrate you planning on using for the "low-tech" natural tank?  Looks like inert sand you have in there which will limit your choice of plants you can use.  How's the lighting?

I ran inert gravel/sand in my first planted tank and ended up redoing it after a few months (after a lot of wasted $$$).  If you are planning to go heavy on plants I recommend you plan out substrate and lights before starting.  If you want to stay low-tech (i.e. no CO2) and low light, you can go with a dirt and get great results.  Its the only way I roll now and can grow just about anything. 

Sky

I'm on my third tank after a long time and it was "free" as well, lots of money later and I want another!  ;)

I got my plants from Christopher, no algae a few micro snails and limpets (which I love)

Edit - Kijiji link removed.  OVAS Forum Rules - Section 3, Item # 8