New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Vacation prep

Started by matttimms49, December 01, 2016, 11:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey Ovas forum,

I'm going away for the christmas holidays and wanted to ask some questions on how is the best way to prepare for being away from the aquariums.

I'm going to be away for 12 days.

I have one 10 gallon, semi planted tank which is fully stocked - CPD's, Endlers, couple of Oto's and 3 dwarf corys. all nano fish.

I also have a 3.4 gallon tank, medium planted, currently with 2 baby guppies or some kind ( they came scooped up with some floating plants i bought recently. I am also hopefully getting a Scarlet Badis in the next few days for this tank. Which I know are fussy eaters.

I was wondering what the best way to feed them will be? are the sinking vacation feeders recommended? the white blocks that you can buy at most pet stores?

I may be able to get someone to pop into to check on the fish but I doubt I can get anyone to come everyday. I also doubt I can get someone to do a weekly water change either.

This is my first time away from the aquariums so all/any advice ideas, tips are welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

lucius

I think if you can someone to come in every few days and sprinkle some food in, you should be fine.

Al

I agree with Lucius - do a good WC before you leave, more than normal. I don't know what you're doing now but if it's weekly WC, 10 days shouldn't be a problem.
IMO, definitely don't use those holiday feeding blocks, junk y quality and they can screw up your water parameters as well - do a search.
If you can get someone in to feed, every 2-3 days or 3-4 days, that would be perfect. Feeding less will also help not polluting your water as you go 12 days without a WC.
Regarding having someone feed your tanks, I strongly advise to pre-measure out the food. Go buy a pill dispenser at the pharmacy for $2-3 that has a weeks worth of blocks - 7 dispensing boxes. Measure out the food yourself and then all your caretaker has to do is open the lid to the pill dispenser and dump it in. No fuss, no guessing, "Oh I thought a couple of pinches was a little" and "they looked so hungry" etc.
Good luck.

bergenm

+1 for pre-measuring.

I just put the food in zip-loc snack bags and tape them to the side of each aquarium.
Michael

wolfiewill

Quote from: Al on December 01, 2016, 01:03:40 PM
Go buy a pill dispenser at the pharmacy for $2-3 that has a weeks worth of blocks - 7 dispensing boxes. Measure out the food yourself and then all your caretaker has to do is open the lid to the pill dispenser and dump it in. No fuss, no guessing, "Oh I thought a couple of pinches was a little" and "they looked so hungry" etc.

I completely agree with Al, and I have so many pill dispensers I actually have a large box just for them, so if you live near Kanata I'll give you a couple of doubles.

Also, for planted tanks: If you are concerned about algae growth over the 12 days, just drop the daylight length. But otherwise, 12 days is not really a long time to leave plants. I turn the lights on for 3 hours per day if I'm gone for 2 weeks or more. This unless you have Glosso or Micranthemum or one of the high light plants. They need a longer photoperiod. For 12 days, I'd be inclined to top up the fertilizers (if you use them), and get someone to come in to feed the fish, and leave it at that.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

matttimms49

amazing, thanks for all the great advice guys. I'm sure I can find someone to feed the fish ever 2-3 days no problem. I not sure how to do the lighting on the small planted tank though. I don't really want to spend anymore money on fish stuff at the moment.

I may just grab one of those pill boxes from you, thanks! Not sure when I can pop to Kanata though. I've just been feeding the fish small pinches of food. All of my fish are nano guys, barely any over an inch so I've been sticking to small quantities of food. Not sure if i's enough food to fill a pill box. :)

Al

Don't worry about filling the pill box, far from it.
Just put the regular daily amount into each compartment.
I am in Greely, about 5 minutes from Carleton Raceway if that's closer - I can also lend you a pill counter but you can probably buy one for $2 and that will cost you less than the gas.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/rexall-a0367-reminder-am-pm-p-0006320-2-1.html

Here's one from a dollar store, all you need.
This has an AM and PM, you can also get a simpler one.

matttimms49

yea that's true, I will take a look in the $ store after work tonight :)

Thanks for all the advise guys