New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Newish

Started by Sky, December 06, 2016, 10:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky

Hi,

Hello!

I have had a few aquariums since I was a kid and recently got another and set it up.  Its quite a bit smaller then my last two ringing in at only 10 gallons.  I am using the hood it came with but switched out the light tube, heater and replaced the auqaclear 20.

My old boss gave me the tank and of course I went online to see what I could put in it and found out that in the last buncha years people have been doing wonderful things with planted tanks etc.. It's renewed my excitement!

For now its just grow wild planted tank with no fish (with clipping and propagation).  I am a bit trepidatious to put any fish in such a small tank..

At this point I have some star grass and rotala which are growing super fast! Dwarf hygro which is holding up well but lost a few leaves in the bottom.  HC and dwarf hairgrass which are doing ok but I moved them around a few times so paying a lot of attention to how they fare.  Also some java fern which is doing well but seems too big for the aquarium :(

So far its great!  I even got a few small micro ramshorn looking snails and some limpets with the plants (so I guess I have pets again!)  But I am already looking at going to a 55 to 75 gallon tank and leaving this one as a planted/hospital/quarantine tank, with maybe a few fish to keep up the bacteria in the filter.

And one day I will figure out how to make pictures small enough to post...

Sky

so, how do you post pics?

Kelly

Just below your reply click on (additional options) and then click on (choose file) and add your picture.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Chesh

Welcome back to the dark side!

charlie

Hi Sky, welcome to OVAS, the hobby especially the planted aquarium aspect of it  ;)
Among the several forum  & club members there is a group of passionate planted tank individuals that is willing to help, so i`ll say you are in good company.
Regards