New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bulk potassium nitrate

Started by wolfiewill, December 19, 2016, 03:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

I'm considering the purchase of 50# of potassium nitrate. I go through it quickly, but I was hoping that there would be some others who would be willing to purchase from me at cost rather than divide it into smaller quantities immediately. I would pay about $1 per pound so would factor in the tax etc and come up with a price considerable lower than what is sold at the local hydroponics store. Are there any planted tank people who would commit to purchase from me at these prices (at say $1.25 per 500 gm)? I would also be willing to provide mixing and dosing instructions for those who haven't done it before.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Kelly

I've only used liquid potassium and liquid nitrate to dose, not sure how to use powders and in what quantities. Does it have an expiry date because I have just purchased some new liquid products.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

zolta

I would, but I have a pile from the hydroponics store, and it may be a year before i need more. 
65 gal tall planted

wolfiewill

Quote from: Kelly on December 20, 2016, 12:26:53 AM
I've only used liquid potassium and liquid nitrate to dose, not sure how to use powders and in what quantities. Does it have an expiry date because I have just purchased some new liquid products.

There is no expiry date for the liquids as far as the KNO3 is concerned. So unless there's something else in the solution it should be good for years. What brand are you using?
As for mixing a solution of KNO3, add 8 level tablespoons to 500 ml of the hottest water your hot water tank provides and shake 'till all is dissolved, and that's it. Costs about 20 cents at retail prices. I use the method that Rex Grigg posted on his old web site, and I have dosing instructions to make a 10, 20 or 30 ppm dose in the aquarium. It's really very simple, and very cheap.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

I'd like some too.

As for dosage, I just dose it dry, straight into the tank, just measure the grams using http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php, no mixing, diluting, fuss etc. And it's way way cheaper.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g