New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate

Started by Chesh, January 04, 2017, 08:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesh

I got that crushed shell subsrate and i think i want sand. As for live stock and health of the aquarium what is the best? Thanks guys. Im thinking sand looks and is better.

wolfiewill

Salt or fresh water tank?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

transporter8367

Canadian tire sells 20lbs of white pool filter sand for 11.99

ottguy

Mermaid pool and the other one on merivale sell 50lbs of pool filter sand for $5.99.

Sharbuckle

Do not use any pool filter sand or any of that stuff. Only use aragonite, crushed coral, or live sand. Personally I prefer aragonite. Something with a medium grain size.

Sharbuckle

Also, if you plan on keeping sand sifting fish and inverts. Smaller grain size is best.

ottguy

For freshwater, pool filter sand is great. I have 10 tanks set-up with it. It grows live plants and I have bred thousands of freshwater shrimp in it.

Sharbuckle

Do Not Use Pool Filter Sand For A Saltwater Aquarium.

Sharbuckle

I hate to be the one to say this but you won't get much advice for saltwater on here. Go check out The Reefers of Ottawa/Gatineau on facebook. If anybody disagrees with me, you're wrong.

Darth

I assume he means saltwater since this the saltwater forum. Pool sand is fine for fresh too many silicates for saltwater.

Al

I leave the salt guys to speaking about the appropriateness of pool filter sand for a SW tank. Some good points made, however.
For freshwater, PFS works fine with a few caveats. One - if your keeping soft bellied fish/bottom dwellers/catfish and sifters, a finer sand grain is desirable. Second, I have used PFS for working tanks (breeding, etc ) but wouldn't use it in a show tank - for me, the coloring is un-natural for many of the freshwater biotopes I try and replicate. The whitish/off-white-greyish doesn't work for me in a show-tank setup and I'd rather take the hit once and get my aquascaping right.
I've tried playsand , as well - PITA - lots of clay and fine particulate in the stuff I found at either HD or Lowe's and a killer on filters, unless your using air and sponges, then have at it.
Each person has their own likes/dislikes. Some people like blue gravel and pirate ships, if that's what you like, that's all that counts.
The nicest stuff I have used recently is Carib Sea Sunset Gold, a nice fine sand that really looks terrific/natural with rock and woodwork alike - but what a budget buster !!

Chesh

Ya, the substrate i was refering to is for a salt water tank. I do plan and like the look of bottom dwellers plus they add the benefit of being cleaners. I just dont see the crushed shell stuff being any good and wanter opinions. Now is the time to change the substrate as i am cycling my tank. Thx Char... Ill check it out!!! Sorry for being a noob but there will be a lot of questions!

Sharbuckle

Nothing wrong with being a noob!! It's the most exciting time. If you want bottom dwellers I would suggest getting some caribsea fiji pink sand. You will have to monitor and tweak your flow so you don't get a sandstorm from such a fine sand however.

Chesh

I posted a pic on ottawa/gatineau reefers of my substrate. I find the discussion and responses better here tho!

Sharbuckle

Trust me you'll get better responses. A few different reefing groups . I use TheREEFERS Ottawa/Gatineau

Chesh

Ok cool, that one has 361 members vs the 74 on the other one. Why so many? Cant we all just be friends!?! lol...

Sharbuckle

Haha well ill do my best to help with any questions you have here or elsewhere.

mysterysnail

Thefragtank is also good for saltwater tho they are not local.(london/toronto area)Do love ovas but not the largest or most active reefers group.
I used the caribsea eco complete sahara sand for mine. Its the black and white argonite sand with a medium grain. I used it for my malawi mbuna tank and fell in love. It works great for me and price was great.

Chesh

Im not so wooried about look but Im more concerned with the species health. A lot of fish and invertebrates ingest the substrate and that was my biggeat concern. The more replies and opinions the better, thanks!

rockworm

I have used CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand for the last few tanks. It is not too coarse or too fine. I have been very happy with it. I have it in my current 400g and 75g.
180g with 2x54g bookend corner bowfront.  220g FOWLR.
75g sump/65g fuge/90g benthic/fuge.