New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can anyone identify the blue mbuna in this video? (Now a public page)

Started by dpatte, January 21, 2017, 12:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

https://www.facebook.com/dpatte/videos/10158083509215258/

No yellow on the dorsal, and its bars are broken.

Thanks
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

ajm1961

Hey Dave, tried your link - I'm getting this message:

"The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in "

Private Facebook page?
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

dpatte

maybe - how can I make a singole fcebook page public?
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.

dpatte

limmer

dpatte

I picked it up from an importer in quebec. I infact referred to it as an OB Zebra, but it actually has very little orange or yellow. Just the egg spots and near the tail. Its been suggested its possibly a Cynotilapia Afra, perhaps from near Jalo Reef, or perhaps a hybrid with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvuzA4-apWM
Any other hints would be appreciated, since I'd like to find it some tankmates of the same species. Anyone breeding afras in Ottawa?

Another possibility is this one:
https://www.cichlides-malawi-33-le-forum.fr/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=653
The colouring is closer, but the body shape of mine is more like the Afra.

dpatte

So - with some help of people here, and Spencer Jack and also Sean Kettle, I have decided that the fish is:

Metriaclima zebra OB (Chizumulu Island) or (Masinje)

Thanks for everyone's help, and if you know of anyone that has some more of these, let me know. THX