New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

24 x 24 rimless cubes?

Started by Kelly, January 23, 2017, 07:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

After my 220 broke I am almost surely decided on replacing it with 3 side by side 24 x 24 rimless cubes made of Starglass. The best price I have found is $279.99 per cube at a store in Montreal and they have offered me 10% off if I purchase 3, (glass is not etched with Starglass on front). My question is - is this a really good price considering the best price I could find other then that was $319.99 per rimless cube not Starglass and no discount.   
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Al

Just some thoughts as you haven't mentioned brands....are these chevy's or bmw's? look for a cheap price long enough and you'll find it however I didn't hear you asking about brands? quality? etc.
If you're just looking for the cheapest price, take it. If you have a problem after, it's a different problem locally versus Montreal or wherever, for instance when we're talking 40 bucks per - especially given your past experience with a problem tank.
How thick is the glass, silicone work and detail, etc, glass cutting/polishing edges, etc. Nothing is free and quality comes at a price. With aquariums, we usually get what we pay for.
When you say side by side, what do you mean exactly? just setup beside each other or setup on a custom wood stand? just trying to envisage your setup.
Just my .02
Good luck with the shopping.

charlie

Deleted
dated info.

Al

sas

This topic has been moderated :)

This is a great discussion and I would hate to have to lock it, so in saying that, I'd ask members to stay on topic, and be respectful of others.
We are all here to learn and share our experiences.

Kelly

Quote from: Al on January 24, 2017, 09:36:11 AM
Just some thoughts as you haven't mentioned brands....are these chevy's or bmw's? look for a cheap price long enough and you'll find it however I didn't hear you asking about brands? quality? etc.
If you're just looking for the cheapest price, take it. If you have a problem after, it's a different problem locally versus Montreal or wherever, for instance when we're talking 40 bucks per - especially given your past experience with a problem tank.
How thick is the glass, silicone work and detail, etc, glass cutting/polishing edges, etc. Nothing is free and quality comes at a price. With aquariums, we usually get what we pay for.
When you say side by side, what do you mean exactly? just setup beside each other or setup on a custom wood stand? just trying to envisage your setup.
Just my .02
Good luck with the shopping.
I am concerned about quality but not sure what manufacturers are best. I should have been more specific in my question and mentioned that I have little knowledge of rimless tanks. I certainly agree with you that my past experience should have taught me a very good lesson and it has. I was told starfire glass was the better glass because it has less iron in it making it clearer. Any help with brand names would be appreciated.

Al

Hopefully Charlie chimes in with some brands that he has alluded to above with his direct experience and ownership or maybe PM him and get the info. I would believe that you definitely want quality finishing and clean silicone as the finishing will stick out big time with no tops and intense lighting bringing everything into focus. I always thought about doing a cube project but some of the issues that concerned me at the time were working in the tank and sloshing of water with no trim and water lines being readily apparent. Probably minor things because a nice rimless does have that ultra-clean look no doubt about it !!

Kelly

I think I'm going to order them from Critter Jungle, I really like the nice finish on the rimless show tank they have, the silicone is near invisible which makes the tank look so sharp. A little more expensive but after doing some more digging I found out the Starfire glass ones in Montreal are made in China and that turned me right off them.

Another question, do you think a Fluval FX6 is too much current for a 24 X 24 cube cichlid tank? I hear they like a lot of current.

Al

At over 900 gph (I know that's without media), I would think that an FX6 is overkill and you would have way too much turbulence in a 24" length tank. I have Eheim 2262's that put out 900 gph and I would never entertain putting them on a 24" tank. In that small a tank, I would imagine you're thinking of shell dwellers and with the sand substrate they would like, you'll have sand being blown everywhere, which will also get sucked up by your filter. I would dial back the output to a smaller filter or if you already have the FX6 look into the feasibility of putting a valve on the output line to cut it back - but that might not be good on a canister filter, restricting the pump.

Kelly

I have the FX6 from my 220. I also have a 306 and a Eheim Eco Pro Easy 60 which will do fine so I'll need to buy another small canister. Probably have to sell the FX6. Pet Smart on Innes near Rona had the 306 on for $100 off last week, not sure if they're still on sale.