New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CAOAC Convention

Started by Jody, January 24, 2017, 08:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya folks,
Just wondering if anyone has thought about going to the CAOAC Convention this year.
As usual, it is the May long weekend,  and this year is in Burlington.

Jody

charlie

Hi Jody, as of now i`m entertaining the thought of going, will need to wait a while before i can commit.
Errol

CC-Slider

It sounds like fun, I am strongly considering it. Will make commitment by end of Feb or would that be to late to reserve a room at the hotel.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

CC-Slider

I need some advise on attending the CAOAC Convention

First of I am planning on taking the train, Sure sharing a ride with a bunch of people sounds like a great ROAD TRIP when I was in my 20's now in my Golden years. riding in comfort (business class) having some one making sure I always have a drink the whole trip sounds way better.

So my question is since the convention opens Friday at 10am, by train the earliest I would be there is 2pm if I leave Friday. I have no issue leaving Thursday and spending an extra day. The question would I really miss anything on Friday if I get there 4 hours after it opens as I will be there until Sunday, have to leave by 4pm to catch the last train back to Ottawa which means I would also miss the last couple hours, but if nothing really important happens then I have no issue leaving early.

So do I leave on Thursday or Friday. What is everyone that has gone recommendation.

Bwhiskered

You won't miss anything getting there at 2 pm Friday. The first speaker is not until the evening.

Charlie Drew H&DAS life member.

limed

opening ceremonies at 8 with a speaker on Fri evening - Ian probably 8:30 to 9:30 and then 5 speakers on Sat 9 to 5.

This is what I got from them.  So you can go on Friday, but don't forget to buy the show pass and book your
hotel room if you're staying there.

Ed

limmer

Any idea what the talks will be?
What about the cost of the Hotel?

ajm1961

Rooms are available for reservation right now. No deposit required - no cancellation fees until 6:00 PM on May 19th. I reserved a room with two double beds for $116 per night for May 19 and May 20.
So... yes, I'm considering going.

Although the talks are not defined, the speakers are - and they look good!
Eric Bodrock and his fiance Regina will both give presentations. Between them they have 250 tanks! His speciality seems to be aquaria "odd balls". She seems to have varied interests and she is a master breeder.
Ian Fuller is a cory catfish expert. Runs Corydorasworld.com
Lawrence Kent is a cichlids guy. Also works for the Bill Gates foundation.
Gerald Griffin is a betta guy. Also runs a few clubs and affiliations.
All in all - some impressive people!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

limed

I got email back from Carla (President) and the hotel should have been $85.00 if booked before April 18th
and after that it's $90.00.
(Holiday Inn Burlington hotel.)  You are right Andre, this price is for the show not the hotel.

All the pricing and hotel information is on our website. (Different rooms and different pricing)
We will confirm the presentations this month.

Hope to see you at the Aquatic Expo.

Carla

Ed

ajm1961

I think Carla meant that the Convention price is $85 before April 18th and $90 after.
When I booked the hotel I used the CAC Group Rate code as per their instructions. The rooms are typically $185...

zenins

It will be good to see some people from Ottawa at the convention.

Lots of good presentations, awards banquet, show and auction.

Meet various fish heads ... er ... fish keepers who really want to talk about this hobby :)

Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

CC-Slider

Well it is official. I bought my Pass, booked the hotel and confirmed my Travel plans for the Convention. So I will be there in May. It be nice to meet up with others going to the convention. Maybe we could set up a place and time to meet at the Convention. I will leave that up to Convention Veterans to determine where and when.

Hope to see many of you there.

zenins

Quote from: CC-Slider on February 12, 2017, 03:43:08 AM
Well it is official. I bought my Pass, booked the hotel and confirmed my Travel plans for the Convention. So I will be there in May. It be nice to meet up with others going to the convention. Maybe we could set up a place and time to meet at the Convention. I will leave that up to Convention Veterans to determine where and when.

Hope to see many of you there.

Did you get the CAOAC discount rate for the room ?
How much was it ?
Zenin

CC-Slider

the room is $111 then you can upgrade and price increase by $4 for the next upgrade.http://www.hiburlington.ca you can go here and register for a room, Give the CAC code and it will show you all the prices for the different room level I believe the top room they provide is under $150

Jody

Hi All,

I am seriously considering going, and will decide 100% at the end of next month.
If someone wants to carpool down and share a room, that would make the decision easier..

Jody

zenins

Quote from: ajm1961 on January 31, 2017, 09:26:47 PM
I think Carla meant that the Convention price is $85 before April 18th and $90 after.
When I booked the hotel I used the CAC Group Rate code as per their instructions. The rooms are typically $185...

Andre, it will be nice to see you there :)

Zenin

ajm1961

It will be good to see you as well Zenin!

CC-Slider

As this will be my first time to a Major Aquarium Convention. I need a little advice on what I should bring.
What should I bring especially if I happen to find some fish I would like to buy. I am sure I can't keep them in a bag for 3 days and I wouldn't want to wait till Sunday to buy, as the good ones maybe gone by then.
I was thinking a small cooler and a air pump or is it not needed.
what do the rest of you bring if anything or am I over thinking this.

Jody

CC-Slider,

Conventions are great fun, though I haven't been to many.

I always bring some extra bags, water conditioner, small bucket, fish net and an air pump with lines and stones, plus a cooler of some type.
Typically I will change the water once or twice a day.
Depending on when and what you buy, having a bit of fish food is handy, though feed VERY lightly, and make sure you water change later in the day.
Plus think of how to best hold fish if you are planning to buy early.. a couple of extra buckets can be handy for that.

Jody