New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CAOAC Convention

Started by Jody, January 24, 2017, 08:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limed

Go to Walmart and get a couple of (3) tupperware containers with tops that fits inside each other to save space ,about 3 gallons.
This is good to keep the fish in as you buy them and the tops for jumpers.  When you get checked in setup those containers with
water and you can use heaters or turn up the temp in the room.
  Lots of bags, net some food, air pump with air stones/air line. Only fill the containers about 2/3 .
  Lots of money.....
Check there web site to see if anyone is posting fish for sale, this way you can get them before everyone else.
Reserve

Ed

CC-Slider

Thanks Jody and limed for your advise.

I have already started to gather up your suggested supplies for the trip.

I also decided to see what I could find about CAOCA Convention on youtube, and all I found was this recent  post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxDpJT2i_dM&t=8s

there was no video of previous conventions at all, I think I will take my video camera with me just
to document the trip.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

OVAS-News

Looks like they updated their website.

CAOAC Aquatic Expo 2017

The OVAS Executive will be giving any OVAS Club Member a $25 subsidy towards their CAOAC ticket.  ;D  Please keep your tickets as proof of purchase.  You can claim it after the CAOAC event.
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

zenins

Quote from: OVAS-News on March 13, 2017, 10:14:03 PM
Looks like they updated their website.

CAOAC Aquatic Expo 2017

The OVAS Executive will be giving any OVAS Club Member a $25 subsidy towards their CAOAC ticket.  ;D  Please keep your tickets as proof of purchase.  You can claim it after the CAOAC event.

That is an awesome idea to encourage members to go :)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

zenins

Quote from: Jody on March 12, 2017, 02:23:15 PM
CC-Slider,

Conventions are great fun, though I haven't been to many.

I always bring some extra bags, water conditioner, small bucket, fish net and an air pump with lines and stones, plus a cooler of some type.
Typically I will change the water once or twice a day.
Depending on when and what you buy, having a bit of fish food is handy, though feed VERY lightly, and make sure you water change later in the day.
Plus think of how to best hold fish if you are planning to buy early.. a couple of extra buckets can be handy for that.

Jody

These are all good suggestions.

During recent CAOAC conventions, I have not seen anyone selling from their rooms,
but there might be this year.
Most of the fish sales will be in the Sunday auction, so if you are returning Sunday evening,
a large styro box and lid may be all you require.
If you do purchase fish on the Friday or Saturday, from rooms or local stores,
then air pump, air stones, water treatment and other paraphernalia will be required ;)
Zenin

charlie

The last time the club subsidized  , OVAS had the most delegates of all the clubs.
Hope we repeat!!t

CC-Slider

Quote from: zenins on March 14, 2017, 06:08:01 PM

Most of the fish sales will be in the Sunday auction, so if you are returning Sunday evening,
a large styro box and lid may be all you require.

What are the times of the auction as I have to leave at 4pm Sunday to catch my ride home.

limmer

I remember buying some Fancy guppies from one of the speakers room.
If there is time, maybe we can arrange a visit to some of the local fish people.

zenins

Quote from: CC-Slider on March 14, 2017, 10:53:29 PM
What are the times of the auction as I have to leave at 4pm Sunday to catch my ride home.

I think the auction starts at 10 am (maybe 11am) and goes until all items are sold.
Lately, club auctions have been ending early, around 3 or 4pm.
You can leave anytime, since it is a cash auction and you pay for each item as you get it,
no delays leaving due to waiting in line to pay an accumulated tab or account.
If there is an item on a later table that you want to bid on but want to leave soon,
I believe there is the option of expediting an item for a $2 fee so it can be bid on right away.
Even if you are selling, you can generally check out shortly after your last item is sold.

Hope that helps :)
Zenin

CC-Slider

Yes it does, but I think check out is 12 pm unless they will accommodate later check out times, but I will only have one suit case with my portable cooler. So no major issue. Thanks

limed

We would normally put everything but the fish in the car and
then go to the auction to look what there is, if you see something you
want, bump it up, not sure how this club does it, but normally you pay 1-2 $
to bump up the bag.  Also the hotel can keep your bags in the back room until
you go.

Ed

Jody

I am now registered for the convention!
I am looking forward to going down, it has been a long time since I have gone to one.

Jody

Bwhiskered

All the latest information on the CAOAC Aquatic Expo right here http://hdas.ca/hdasevent/caoac-convention-2017/

zenins

Reserve at Holiday Inn Burlington Hotel & Conference Centre using Group Code CAC  by April 18, 2017.

Zenin

CC-Slider

Less than 7 days to CAOAC Convention.

So who all is going.

Jody

I know  Andre ,  Peter and Sid and I are going. Not sure who else.
I am looking forward to it.

Jody

limmer

Were back!
Talks were great. People were fun and we brought back fish.
I even won a subscription to Amazonas.
Great time.

sidarnold

I had a really good time (slept alot) and Jody, Andre and Peter are great to travel with - car travel time 5.5 hours and lots of conversation on a variety of fish and non-fish topics. I would recommend the CAOAC convention to everyone. 3 very good talks that I listened to and banquet buffet was one of the best that I have experienced in 20 years of conventions. Show next year is at same venue. I purchased 6 pea puffers for my 30 gallon planted tank. They have already started cleaning up the pond snails.

Jody

I would certainly rate the trip a success. Great company for the trip there and back,  the speakers were great, both during their talks and a talking with them either in the halls or in the hospitality suite. I let Sid do the sleeping for me, and stayed up with who ever was hanging around both Friday and Saturday nights.
Skipped one talk, but got to hear all the speakers anyway.
We did a nice little tour of Larry's, Charlie's and visited a couple of stores.
Bought way too many fish, but it's all good.
The auction isn't huge, but some different stuff there.

Jody

CC-Slider

Just want to thank Peter, Jody, Andre and Sid for showing me around at my first Convention. The speakers where good. I brought back 6 Pygmy corydoras from our field trip to 4 different Aquarium Stores. And picked up 3 super red plecos from the auction. All are doing well.

Once again guys thanks for showing me around I had a great time with great company.