New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tail Fin white fungus infection?

Started by matttimms49, February 09, 2017, 04:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey Ovas members,

I noticed last night that one of my Scarlet Badis has a small amount of what looks like 'white fluff' on his tail fin. A quick internet search later and I believe it to be a fungus infection.

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of infection before and what products I could use to heal the poor little guy.

Thanks.
Matt

Bill Raley

Hi Matt,   I have not had disease in my tank for years, but I recommend trying Pimafix by API. I used it before and it worked great. Its an all natural product and will not harm the biological filtration or live plants. It's safe for all fish as well as snails, invertebrates, salt water tanks, etc. therefore you can treat your infected fish in a community tank if you want. You can find it at most fish stores as well as Walmart. It's for Fungal infections. Their is also Melafix which is for Bacterial infections. Don't use charcoal filtration when using it as it will remove the medication. Hope this will help.
Bill

matttimms49

Great, Thanks for the advice.  :)

I have some Paraguard from Seachem but I'm not sure thats the best for fungal infections. I will see if I can get some Pimafix on the way home tonight. I'ts great you don't have to quarantine the fish as I would then have to put together another little tank. Although...... everyone can always do with one more tank right? haha

Thanks for the info.

Bill Raley

Well actually Matt, myself, I would quarantine the fish in a separate small tank as it would be easier and would take a lot less medicine. I know it says to treat every day for 7 days and depending on the size of your tank that could be expensive. Anyway, best of luck whatever you do.
Bill

Kelly

Be careful if you have any fish that don't have scales when using medication, read the instructions thoroughly.  I learned the hard way when treating ich in my tank. I lost my 2 black ghost knife fish that way.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

matttimms49

Thanks for the input guys. I bought some pimafix last night and hopefully that will cure the problem.

Thanks for the advice as always