New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquarium Hobby Withdrawal

Started by Al, February 12, 2017, 10:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

As many of you know, I am well into the closing down of my hobby following - kind of obvious with all my ads.
After 25 years or so, it surely has been a tough transition.
I decided last fall that I was moving ahead into another phase of life without fish and aquariums.
Time for travelling !! More time with friends/family across Canada and the US, kids and grand-kids in SW Ontario, cottaging, etc.

It was a tough decision yet is was easy if that makes sense - I'm in the camp of either you're in 100% or you're out - there is no part-time dabbling for me in this hobby.
But that's just me.

I have truly loved the hobby and my experiences -  clubs in SW Ontario to travelling and attending shows and National conventions across the US, it really has been terrific.
I've met so many great people along the way.

So what's it like? -

I haven't had to do a water change in 3 weeks - seems like years now !!
I used to do 5 day WC's on my remaining 180 , 200 and 250 and it took me maybe 3.5 - 4 hours - could do it with my eyes closed, really. Once you have the routine, it gets easy - but that can also be dangerous as sometimes you take too much for granted - so you still have to be 100% focused.

And no fish to feed in the morning - pellets, check - frozen food thawed, check -
or check on fish at the end of the day and all the other myriad of maintenance work - that to me were never really a bother.
That was extended family to me !!

But it surely has been strange. And it continues to be a real adjustment.
Kind of like losing a job or retiring (getting close) - boom, nowhere to go now.

Anyone need a water change done? I'm available :<)

zenins

Perhaps you will get back into the hobby after a few years of travel.
I am sure that when you get older, you will travel less and then be looking for things to do around home ;)
Even if it is only one aquarium, still nice to enjoy :)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

charlie

Al, I wish you well in the next phase of your life plans.
The hobby and community will miss you for sure, I`m one who was lucky to cross paths with you in this hobby even though we were miles apart in our fondness in the hobby, we still had a common interest - "Aquariums"
Thanks for all the pleasant memories.
Errol

wolfiewill

Sorry to hear you leaving the hobby, and I'm going to miss your posts. But, I know exactly what you are talking about. I've got too much going on at the moment to leave the hobby, but I've been thinking about it as an inevitabilty. I know I will at some point. Enjoy. Reinventing oneself suggests good mental health. Cheers. G
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

lucius

Enjoy your extra time Al.  I know when people ask me what I like to do for fun or what I do after work, they don't believe me when I tell them fish keeping. 

I'm sure you have a bit more pocket change as well.  :)

Mike L

All the best Al
I would keep one setup if I was in your position. You have lots of space to store one  too. You will come back at some point.  It's in your system after that  long in the hobby.  All the best in your travels.
Regards Mike

exv152

All the best in your aquarium retirement Al!

There comes a time in every hobby where you have to dial it back or completely turn the page on a new phase in life. Travel and family sound like good alternatives. I wish you all the best.

Eric
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ajm1961

You were one of the first people I bought from the classified - some Dainishi cichlid pellets. Seems like yesterday. Glad we were able to go to the Ohio convention together with "little Al" and Mark. Lots of good memories.
All the best to you and your wife in your travels and hope to hear from from you in the future.
Stay safe, stay healthy, enjoy retirement!
Cheers!
Andre
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Al

Well it's funny how things go sometimes.
I have had my 3 large tanks up for sale for about 6-9 months, understanding that larger tanks can take a while to sell. I haven't been freaked out about it and just felt that when the time was right and the right buyer came along, like selling a house, a deal would be made.

No use stressing.

Well what I didn't expect was that last Sunday, both my 250G and 180G tanks both sold to different buyers - after 6 months or so - BOOM - both sell on the same day?? Go figure.

And..............reality hit last night after they picked up the 250 and I was staring at a huge empty space where I once watched my awesome SA cichlids in action.

I have a 20 x 30 finished office space in my basement, with the rest a large unfinished area (2000 SF bungalow).In the office space I have - or I should say HAD -  my 2 show tanks  and as I work from home 100% of the time when I am not travelling, I would get to watch fish activity pretty much all day long. Severums jostling, silver dollars zinging around in a pack and crenicichla pikes looking for a snack while hiding in their lairs!!

Last night 4 guys showed up to pick up the 250 BEAST - I figure 4-450 dry, ballpark.
Ouch, where's the beer ?
The buyer showed up with a refrigerator dolly - with a plywood sheet attached to it that was the same size as the bottom of the aquarium. To keep the ply from sliding around, he attached two 2 x 4 rails on the underside of the ply that straddled the rails of the dolly - so the ply was pretty stationary and couldn't slide side to side when the grunting started.

So lift # 1 was from the metal stand to the dolly platform - with the dolly laying on its back on the floor, they lifted the 250, still on it's ply/styro base and laid it on the ply base on the dolly.
Fit like a glove. I figured, so far so good - I'm loving this, I've never seen this movie before !
We put a small 6 inch high dolly I had - under the top handle of the refrigerator dolly, which is the top of the dolly where you hold the handles. The bottom has wheels, so now we could now easily roll the dolly with the tank over to the stairs.
I have stairs from my unfinished basement directly into the garage and the dolly pretty much just slid up the stairs with 2 pulling with rope at the top and 2 pushing from the bottom.

Ok - fast-forward to the end of the movie - in 90 minutes, the 250 was loaded - tank, metal stand, wood canopy, wood bottom, glass tops - everything and they were gone.

Very impressive large tank move I must say - and not a lot of straining.
LOL - Easy for me to say, I was the traffic cop !!

Down to 1 tank left to sell - my 200G - but that one is in the unfinished basement, so it's not in my face.

I'm still in disbelief and will be moreso once the 180G gets picked up and my office is left with bookshelves and office furniture?? and no aquariums or fish in sight.

wolfiewill

If you really need a tank fix, you're always welcome to come over here for a beer and a look. You were instrumental in advising me about my 330 g tank, so I owe you big time..... and after 2.5 years I still can't stop looking at it. Cheers.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Al

Thanks Greg.
Oh, BTW - no refrigerator dollies for you IF and WHEN..............................
we're talking crane material !! or demolition man !!
They'll probably have to take you out feet first !
LOL

veron

I remember when I sold my house, I had to take apart my 500 G tank :'( No way it was going out the basement as I built it in the Basement lol.   very sad day.

Al

500G................now that's playing with the big boys.
Yes, I can well imagine the work involved in that endeavor.
So, where do you go to swim now ?? :<)

veron

Yeh, that was truly an amazing reef tank build. Laminated STARFIRE front glass, Euro bracing all around, Side overflow on the outside ! Back drilled for multiple closed loop circulation,dedicated pony panel for Juice.[all gfci outlets].
And Corals from all over the place. SPS,LPS,SOFTIES and a shoot load of hydro bills lol!!

I was running 4 x 400W MHALIDES and VHO actinics. Amazing tank look!! I still like that combo better than anything else to this day. 8)

wolfiewill

Quote from: Al on March 04, 2017, 06:53:32 PM
Oh, BTW - no refrigerator dollies for you IF and WHEN..............................
we're talking crane material !! or demolition man !!
They'll probably have to take you out feet first !
LOL

Yes, and when my wife said she wanted to down size after she retired, I said no, that I was going out of here in a box. That 300 was a dream of mine for years and I don't think I'll be tired of it soon. It's just starting to approach completion. I've still got work to do.