New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish room redesign

Started by Jody, October 18, 2016, 04:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya All,

So I am in the process of redesigning my fish room, and finally finished all the stands.
50 2 x 4s and 500 screws later they're all done.
  Next part is going to be draining, drilling and plumbing a bunch of tanks, plus getting some electrical work done.
And then some re-arranging of tanks and it will be good to go.
  Once everything is up and running, there should be about 23-24 tanks in the fishroom, with room for a number of other ones.

Pictures of the work will follow soon.

Jody

veron

Tell me Jody this is at the store and not your home right? 8)

Jody

bitterman

Subscribing. Good luck with your build!

You going to do an automatic water change setup? If so that will affect how you setup things.

Continuous is easier with drip irrigation. Or drill all the tank at a predetermined level to drain the tanks to say 50% with a ball valve.

There are other ways... too..

Saves a lot of work for a big fish room!

Bruce

Sharbuckle

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Jody

A couple of pictures of the work in progress..
For the first rack, it will be 6 10 gallons, 1 25 cube and a 15 gallon as a sump.
I have one more 10 gallon tank to drill, then need to put together all the overflow plumbing, and glue together all the plumbing. Plus I want to add a bit of plywood on each shelf and need to build an extra few inches of support under the sump.

For one of the other racks, I have built a plant filter, that will take care of 2 20 gallon tanks.

Still lots of work to do, but it is getting there.
100 gallon tank to reseal, plus a filter to figure out for it.
Cut plywood for several stands, plus foam to go under a few of the tanks.
Then need to move some bookshelves, and rearrange a bunch of tanks.
Once the 10 gallon rack is done, I will be able to tear down a few tanks, and then drill them, so that they can be put on one of the new racks..

Jody

fischkopp

Yeah, pics! Lots of tanks. I see you are not using any bulkheads. Do you think this is safe?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Jody

I have had a similar system in the past. I put the fittings on with silicone so they end up working like a bulkhead.
The biggest tanks all have bulkheads.

Jody

Jody

Today is water test day..
So far the only leaks are where I have temporary connections which is great.
One problem to fix,  the pump drains water faster than the filter box fills, so I will have to adjust that a bit.
Very happy with the results so far.

Jody

oops.. small set back.
I banged on of the overflow pipes and cracked a tank..
thankfully I have valves on every tank so I can just shut it off when I replace it..

transporter8367

Good thing you know a lot about this hobby now all you have to do is learn how to take pics lol
They are all sideways.

Jody

Lol.. for whatever reason they are showing up sideways when I upload them. They look fine on my phone or laptop.
Much too lazy to spend the effort to fix them..lol Just tilt your head, you will get the idea... ;D

Jody

So I now have the second rack up and running.
I have a gutter filter, for extra bio media as well as some plants,  for my 100 gallon tank. Right now it is just curing and should be ready to hook up in the next day or two.
The top row is 2 20 gallon tanks running off of a plant filter,  with a power head.
Tomorrow another big tank move and hopefully I will get the last rack in place.

Jody

charlie

Quote from: Jody on November 01, 2016, 03:56:16 PM
Lol.. for whatever reason they are showing up sideways when I upload them. They look fine on my phone or laptop.
Much too lazy to spend the effort to fix them..lol Just tilt your head, you will get the idea... ;D
Quote from: Jody on November 01, 2016, 10:23:07 AM

Jody

The last rack is finally plumbed,  just a couple parts needed for the return then I can get to the water testing then it is good to go.
Pictures to come soon.
Jody

Jody

The new fishroom! Still some lighting and tops to do.

https://youtu.be/RQtkneejdq4

Jody

Gilbotron

Spectacular!  The singing bass over the tank is a nice touch!  How many tanks/gallons in total?

Are you giving tours?  Would love to see it!

charlie

Thanks for sharing Jody, well done. I can see an upcoming tour for club members  ;D
Is there a sign at the entrance that say`s Little  AL`s  ;D ;D