New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Interesting video

Started by charlie, February 19, 2017, 10:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

wolfiewill

This is a good one. Thanks for that.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

lucius

I actually found red cherry shrimp in my goldfish tank.  I don't think they jumped or crawled over though.  As I posted a little while back, I use a Mag pump to drain my tanks and I believe they may have hitch hiked over on the prefilter sponge.  And they are really red vs the ones in my community tank.  I hardly feed them and the water is colder.

charlie

I actually have red cherry shrimp in the bosses gold fish tank too, l think they hitch hiked on some java fern  :)

George2

I am not so sure I agree with the part about the shrimp crawling out of the tank. I've observed shrimp bolt out of my tank because they were startled by something either in the tank or by something outside of it. However, I have never seen a shrimp *crawl* out. Has anyone else ever seen a shrimp crawl out of their tank?

daworldisblack

Quote from: George2 on March 10, 2017, 04:06:14 PM
I am not so sure I agree with the part about the shrimp crawling out of the tank. I've observed shrimp bolt out of my tank because they were startled by something either in the tank or by something outside of it. However, I have never seen a shrimp *crawl* out. Has anyone else ever seen a shrimp crawl out of their tank?

Not seen crawl out but I agree they probably jumped out. However i've had Amano shrimps crawl up my arm while my had was in the tank before. They seem to be comfortable crawling outside - unlike neos who really just flop in panic.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Dxpert

Good video. I am not sure how scientific his approach was, but good anecdotal information.

I have seen shrimp jump before (I do not think they can crawl out of the tank.) I have experienced it when they didn't like the water parameters and when they were scared/chased by a fish.

wolfiewill

Quote from: George2 on March 10, 2017, 04:06:14 PM
Yes I have. I can't say if they jump or crawl but both Cherrys and Amanos will leave a tank they in which aren't comfortable. The most important thing they need to stay in a tank are places to hide while they molt. I once took 15 large Amanos out of a 90 g I was rescaping and put them in a 65. They took about an hour to decide to leave. They congregated at the top of the tank on some plants and seemed to wait 'till I wasn't looking - and then they all were gone. Everyone got out and I found them all over the place over the next several weeks. I've even stepped on one while I was at the fish room sink. It was passing behind me and I stepped back to get a towel and mushed it by accident. In another case I saw one crawl up to the top at the corner of my 90. I was suspicious that it was going to make a run for it, but it wouldn't while I stood there watching it. About 5 minutes later I came back to check it and it was on the floor walking away. I put it back into the tank and it immediately went to the same place and waited - again - 'till I wasn't looking and did the same thing. I found it on the floor about two feet farther out. I put it into another tank and it seemed to be happy there 'cause it stayed there.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Gilbotron

Hahaha!  Thats awesome. Amano jailbreakers.

Just get a big cardboard cutout of yourself to keep them inline when you're not there.

wolfiewill

Quote from: Gilbotron on March 14, 2017, 02:35:00 PM
Hahaha!  Thats awesome. Amano jailbreakers.

Just get a big cardboard cutout of yourself to keep them inline when you're not there.

I'm thinking of getting a styrofoam head from Michael's and putting a cctv camera into it - one that will allow me to swivel it around to see all of my fish room. This was originally just to have fun with my grown up kids who like to bring people in to see my tanks. I'd dress it up with a multicoloured wig, a Marx brothers nose/mustache/glasses, maybe a clown nose. With two way voice, I could really have some fun,eh. But I didn't think of the benefits on Amanos with a 'breaking bad' attitude. I think this cut out idea is great.