New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

NOT GOOD: didn't cycle my tank well enough first?? A=.25, No2=5+, No3=5-10ppm

Started by pnadon, March 06, 2017, 09:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnadon

Found my tank is way off balance. I started my new tank and went with PetSmart and their strips. Then added fish.
Then I found Big Al's and their tests were more accurate.

But now I'm stuck. As per the staff at Big Al's, I started with STABILITY yesterday (Sun). Thankfully it has brought my ammonia way down to .25.
I have my own API Master Test Kit. My Nitrite is still wild (5+) and my Nitrate is too low (5-10ppm). pH is high too. Do I just stick it out with the STABILITY? Is there something else I can do?

Freshwater, 46g bow front. 6 Bloodfin Tetras, 5 Gertrudae Rainbow. Some live plants.
http://i.imgur.com/8JUvsbU.jpg

Fish look really happy! Dang it!

Mike L

How  long has the tank been up and running? If your not using prime to condition water for clorimine control, get some as it neutralizes ammonia and nitrite. Do a 50% water change as well.
Do tests before and  about an hour after water change. Tell us results. What filter are you using?
Mike

Gilbotron

Agreed.  Do water changes and as often as needed.  You could add some pre-seeded media to put in the filter/tank to help the cycle jump start.  Do you have another tank with established cycle you can take media from?  Also, lots of live plants like floating plants will help stabilize numbers while cycle establishes.  If you need floating plants or lava rock (seeded with bacteria) I always have tons - just pm me.

Also, check the date on the stability.  If its past due or smells bad, it could be just adding more ammonia to the tank (the bacteria dies after a while).

Al

Not a good situation, for sure.
I agree, increase water changes to daily if you can for the next couple of weeks. Prime will neutralize the ammonia to ammonium, safer for the fish - but it will only do this for about 48 hours. As suggested, best thing you can do is get some dirty filter media from someone (trusted clean source) and put it either in your filter or squeeze it into your water. See if you can get some gravel or sand substrate from someone - for either of these, put out an ad and maybe someone can help - for guys with sumps, all they would need to do is pull out some floss or a small piece of sponge).
You can also try Marineland Total Care Aquarium Bacteria - this was a product initially called Bio Spira developed years ago by someone who eventually left and started an outfit called Dr Tim's (Dr Tim Hovanec) who sells on-line such products - most notably Dr Tim's The One and Only. Most of these are not available in Canada but you can get the Marineland stuff at PetSmart. Is it 100% foolproof - no, but in conjunction with some of the other measures, you would be well on your way.
You could also move the fish to a safer environment - another tank, a friends aquarium (although I wouldn't take fish that were recently acquired as they may harbour some disease), back to the store - while you get this settled and not compromise their health and safety.
Good luck.

Al

should have added, cut back on feeding - maybe stop for 2-3 days entirely, and then go every second day - make sure they eat everything or vacuum it up otherwise