New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fun planted fish Bowl activity - see the rules.Enter here now!!!

Started by charlie, March 08, 2017, 02:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

So here we go.
(1) this is open to all hobbyist
(2)You must register your intention to participate  in this thread by the Fri. Match 31 midnight, anyone registering after March 31 will not be considered for a reward.
(3)Although a fish bowl or similar is highly  suggested,any container i gallon or less is acceptable
(4)--aquascape/ decorate  the bowl/vase as you see fit, but must contain sustainable live plants ( No plastic  :P) , live stock optional
(5) In order to qualify for a reward, it must be presented at the season final meeting on  May 29th at the Tom Brown arena.
"The meeting will take place at the usual place, Tom Brown Arena starting at 7:00 PM.  Tom Brown Arena has plenty of free parking and is close to the OC Transpo transit routes."
Time to start planting/decorating :D, looking forward to some beauties come May 29th and great participation.
Regards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImjZUZa8jkU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL38AFkFPi8

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Kalemh

poisson

Please take lots of pictures! I'm sure there will be many inspiring pieces.

charlie

On the suggestion by a member , please see modified requirement #3.
[quote(3)Although a fish bowl or similar is highly  suggested,any container i gallon or less is acceptable ][/quote]

exv152

Can I submit something that's semi emersed in a bowl or round glass tray? Kind of like these example I found online ?

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Gilbotron

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 09, 2017, 08:34:52 AM
Can I submit something that's semi emersed in a bowl or round glass tray? Kind of like these example I found online ?

For the first one , lets keep it simple to a submersed planted bowl.

charlie

tanksalot360

tanksalot360

1 gallon of water in this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jody

Neat idea! I am in. Not sure what I have to do it yet, but will figure something out.

Hopefully we see lots pictures of the bowls, as well as info on what everyone is using for their set up.

Jody

OVAS-News

The OVAS Executive has decided that it will give out prizes for this contest.  Prizes will be given out to the top three planted fish bowls.  8)

Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

wading_in

Hey Charlie!

You say all hobbyists?  Does that mean I can enter though I am not officially a member of OVAS?

I have a perfect bowl to work with and would LOVE to participate!

;D
To place importance on ones self over the lives to which we are charged is to fail completely in our mission.

sidarnold

Since OVAS is hosting and awarding prizes I think it would be reasonable to expect that participants are OVAS members.

Sid Arnold
OVAS Vice-President

charlie

Quote from: wading_in on March 14, 2017, 07:52:59 AM
Hey Charlie!

You say all hobbyists?  Does that mean I can enter though I am not officially a member of OVAS?

I have a perfect bowl to work with and would LOVE to participate!

;D
After chatting with the VP, it was agreed that members and no members can participate, but only the top 3 members entrants will be awarded prizes, which i think is fair.
The 1,2 and 3 rd prizes is rewarding , so get on board.

wading_in

Quote from: charlie on March 14, 2017, 11:16:56 AM
After chatting with the VP, it was agreed that members and no members can participate, but only the top 3 members entrants will be awarded prizes, which i think is fair.
The 1,2 and 3 rd prizes is rewarding , so get on board.

Amazing! 

So excited :D
To place importance on ones self over the lives to which we are charged is to fail completely in our mission.

Gilbotron

What is the strategy (other than hope and prayer) for transporting a planted fishbowl?  Or are people planning to plant/assemble it at the event?  I'd like to do the former (so I can dirt it) but transporting it could prove disastrous. 

Fill to rim and seal with a lid (so water can't slosh around)?  Empty the water completely (but then tall plants take a beating)? 

If anyone has any tips or experience with this please let me know... 

Kalemh

You could probably treat it as an emeresed set up drain completely mist and put plastic wrap on top so plants stay moist then fill up at arrival is what I'll be doing

charlie

Just siphon  out the water and put it in a container, less than a gallon of water.
Stuff the bowl loosely with damp news print, it will help keep stuff in place.
All.part of the challenge. ;)

charlie

So far we have 8 entries, if i missed anyone from the below list, please let me know.
Enter now before the dead line.
daworldisblack,Kalemh,Aydenh,Gilboltron,tanksalot360,wading_in,Jody, exv152.

exv152

Quote from: charlie on March 16, 2017, 01:17:30 PM
daworldisblack,Kalemh,Aydenh,Gilboltron,tanksalot360,wading_in,Jody, exv152?.

OK I'm in. But if mine turns out to be a bowl of green cereal, which is likely, you won't see an entry from me. LOL
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Jody

Gilbotron

wolfiewill

The interest in this is AWESOME! I will definitely be there at the meeting on May 29th.... and really, poisson is right, someone must take quality pics for the forum.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Jody

Got my bowl up and running.. nice thing about starting early is having the tie to change things if need be.

No guppy grass yet..that is the fallback plan..lol

Jellyanne

Ohh I want to try this!
Hopefully the cat will leave this tank alone!
I've got so many ideas.
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

charlie

Quote from: Jellyanne on March 22, 2017, 08:58:30 AM
Ohh I want to try this!
Hopefully the cat will leave this tank alone!
I've got so many ideas.
Awesome!, looking forward to seeing the creations by our local hobbyist.
As for the cat , give him/her a stern warning  ;)

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 16, 2017, 01:17:30 PM
So far we have 8 entries, if i missed anyone from the below list, please let me know.
Enter now before the dead line.
daworldisblack,Kalemh,Aydenh,Gilboltron,tanksalot360,wading_in,Jody, exv152,jellyanne.
Only 5 more days left to enter folks,get your regurgitation in now

lucius

Quote from: charlie on March 25, 2017, 10:35:42 AM
Only 5 more days left to enter folks,get your regurgitation in now

You should really double check your auto correct.  I assume you mean registration and not regurgitation?  ;D

charlie

Quote from: lucius on March 27, 2017, 10:28:42 AM
You should really double check your auto correct.  I assume you mean registration and not regurgitation?  ;D
Yes i should , you sure have a keen eye and time :D

charlie

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 27, 2017, 11:20:59 AM
4 more days
3 more days guys, don't miss out on this rewarding fun project

Speaking g of rewarding!! I'm happy to announce that the  OVAS Excutive is sponsoring the prizes to the the tune of - 1st place $100.00, 2nd place $50.00 and 3rd place$ 25.00
Thanks OVAS

Herstead

Ok, either Stephanie or I will put a bowl together for this.

We had just decided to not do it and were at a value village and found a perfect container so I guess we have to now.

Should be fun.

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

ksj

Id like to join in even thouh Im not yet a member. Can props be used? I like making things myself for decor in aquariums.
90g with 20g sump - Endlers, Kuhli loaches, Betta, Pearl gourami, Salt and pepper cories, Ottos, Assassin snails, Unlucky trumpet snails
~Kim

charlie

@ Jonathan, that`s awesome!
@  ksj ,as mentioned it`s open to anyone , but only legit members will be considered for the Prizes.
use any props you like , but it must contain viable plants.
To anyone sitting on the fence, join the party now, only a couple of days left for registering your intent. Once the entries are closed on the 31st, there will be no acceptance of entries allowed - no exceptions.
Regards

ksj

Thats fine. Being new here I dont know what people expect so I have no illusions of winning. It just sounds fun.
90g with 20g sump - Endlers, Kuhli loaches, Betta, Pearl gourami, Salt and pepper cories, Ottos, Assassin snails, Unlucky trumpet snails
~Kim

rivermuse

I dont know what Im going to do yet, but pl include my entry into the event. Thx

sidarnold

Good morning to everyone. OVAS is very encouraged by the number of participants who have stated their intention to create an entry for the Planted Fish Bowl competition. We are hoping to view many great entries. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes will be awarded to entrants with paid, current OVAS memberships. Prizes are:

1st Place = $100
2nd Place = $50
3rd Place = $25

Thanks again to Errol for organizing this. See you at the May 29th meeting!

Sid Arnold
OVAS Vice-President

charlie

Quote from: charlie on March 08, 2017, 02:07:42 PM
So here we go.
(1) this is open to all hobbyist
(2)You must register your intention to participate  in this thread by the Fri. Match 31 midnight, anyone registering after March 31 will not be considered for a reward.
(3)Although a fish bowl or similar is highly  suggested,any container i gallon or less is acceptable
(4)--aquascape/ decorate  the bowl/vase as you see fit, but must contain sustainable live plants ( No plastic  :P) , live stock optional
(5) In order to qualify for a reward, it must be presented at the season final meeting on  May 29th at the Tom Brown arena.
"The meeting will take place at the usual place, Tom Brown Arena starting at 7:00 PM.  Tom Brown Arena has plenty of free parking and is close to the OC Transpo transit routes."
Time to start planting/decorating :D, looking forward to some beauties come May 29th and great participation.
Regards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImjZUZa8jkU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL38AFkFPi8

QuoteGood morning to everyone. OVAS is very encouraged by the number of participants who have stated their intention to create an entry for the Planted Fish Bowl competition. We are hoping to view many great entries. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes will be awarded to entrants with paid, current OVAS memberships. Prizes are:

1st Place = $100
2nd Place = $50
3rd Place = $25

Thanks again to Errol for organizing this. See you at the May 29th meeting!

Sid Arnold
OVAS Vice-President
daworldisblack,Kalemh,Aydenh,Gilboltron,tanksalot360,wading_in,Jody, exv152, Jellyanne , Herstead , ksj , rivermuse ,charlie?.
If there is any concerns of me joining the fun , please say so.

If you have posted your intent and don`t see your name above, please contact me.
This should be fun
Regards

charlie

Wow May is here, how are those bowls growing ??
As for me i`m still to put together something, had touch to deal with recently.

Kalemh

Hey Errol so far mine is doing great I'm wondering what we're going to do for lighting is there a place to set them up near a power bar and do you want us to bring our own lights ?
TIA

charlie

Good point.
I'll set the table up close an electrical outlet
bring your own light if you want to show your bowl lighted.
Please remember to arrive early to set up.
Thanks see you all tomorrow

charlie

I was able to sneak a peek of 2 bowls  hmmmm  ;)this going to be ompressive :)

charlie

I want to tank all the participants of the fish bowl contest, over the moon with the creativity displayed by all, more so by the top placed entries, ironically the 2 bowls i  stole a peek on this past  weekend ended up 2nd & 3 rd   ;)
( Giblotron and tanksalot360) congrats gentlemen well done.
Special congrats to the winner Kalemh.
The scaping displayed augers well for the future of the hobby, well done Kalem.
in my opinion Kalem`s sibling ( Aydenh) was hot on his heels and deserve special mention.
The event was well received with others displaying their intent for the next one.. stay tuned  ;)
Special thanks to the Eexc. for supporting this event, it is very welcomed.
I`m throwing out the challenge to our fellow hobbyist to come up and execute something of this nature in their  niche of this great hobby.
Regards Errol
Pics to follow.

matttimms49

Really good showing in the competition last night, well done everyone that was involved. I'm sure the prize money will be put back into the hobby haha!

just think of all the 1 gallon tanks you could buy!

Jody

I agree, it was a great show of participation and creativity.
Lots of great bowls, I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of the next round.
I may have come in 5th, but at least I beat Charlie!!

Jody

charlie

Quote from: Jody on May 30, 2017, 12:32:23 PM
I agree, it was a great show of participation and creativity.
Lots of great bowls, I am looking forward to seeing what comes out of the next round.
I may have come in 5th, but at least I beat Charlie!!

Jody

Yessss, I was kicked, thumped and then kicked again for good measure ;D

charlie

Picture time  ;)
All the participants

3rd place -tanksalot360

Runner up -Gilbotron

The winner and reigning champ!
KalemH