New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Filter requirements for nano shrimp tank

Started by George2, March 10, 2017, 03:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George2

Hi,

The  Caridina shrimp(Crystal Red, Tangerine Tigers, etc)  in my 5 gallon nano tank are breeding so I have a number of babies of varying sizes. Unfortunately, many of them have been sucked up by my internal Elite filter, which is on the lowest possible setting.  I have tried using a "Seapora 30" breeder sponge filter, but it creates way too many large bubbles and has no apparent filtering capability. If I hold a very fine piece of algae right beside the filter and then let it go, the algae simply floats away. i.e. Other than creating alot of bubbles, the filter does not appear to do anything.

This makes me wonder about the need for a filter. Do we even need one if we perform regular water changes? I know the filter contains "good" bacteria, but isn't the bacteria also present in the substrate and on the surface of the glass, rocks, plants, drift wood, etc ? If so, can I get away with replacing my filter with an air stone to create some movement in the water?  My tank only has shrimp and a few nerite snails.

Thanks!
George

Mike L

Not familiar with the filter but could a filter be put over the intake. I do this with my tanks whenever breeding occurs.

charlie

For me , i wont run a shrimp tank without some type of biological filtration, i can`t speak to whether it can be done or not.
Which of the Elite filters are you using? 

lucius

You can try one of these Azoo filters from Angel Fins.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=60107.0

I'd be curious to know if you can take an Eheim Skimmer filter, remove the top and stick it upside down in your tank, under the water line.  It should act as a small enough filter as well.

George2

Quote from: Mike L on March 11, 2017, 09:04:06 AM
Not familiar with the filter but could a filter be put over the intake. I do this with my tanks whenever breeding occurs.

My filter is an internal one, which takes in water from the sides. As a result, the only way I can cover it up is to find some sort of mesh bag with really small holes. I have not been able to fine anything small enough to prevent the tiny shrimp from getting sucked up.

George2

Quote from: charlie on March 11, 2017, 10:37:46 AM
For me , i wont run a shrimp tank without some type of biological filtration, i can`t speak to whether it can be done or not.
Which of the Elite filters are you using? 

I can't remember the exact model, but I think it is this one:
https://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Internal/A130
I got it at Critter Jungle a year or two ago.
It is listed as having a maximum capacity of 3 gallons. However, the one I have produces way too much water movement at full capacity for a 5 gallon tank so I have turned it down to about halfway. I love this little filter because it is the smallest internal filter I have found, is easy to clean, and the water flow rate is easily adjusted.

I think I'm going to run some experiments involving no filter in another tank so I don't risk killing any of my breeding shrimp.  :)   I'm curious to see how the water parameters are affected after removing a filter, once a tank has has cycled and is stable.

George2

Quote from: lucius on March 11, 2017, 12:07:19 PM
You can try one of these Azoo filters from Angel Fins.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=60107.0

I'd be curious to know if you can take an Eheim Skimmer filter, remove the top and stick it upside down in your tank, under the water line.  It should act as a small enough filter as well.

I did not know you could get hang-on-the-back filters that small.   :)   Your idea with the Eheim skimmer is interesting. I think it would be too tall/big for my 5 gallon tank, though.

Mike L

charlie

Quote from: Mike L on March 11, 2017, 02:48:59 PM
Wrap a  women's nylon around it.
or even a thin layer of filter floss behind the grill that the water enters the filter

wolfiewill

I use sponge filters. Completely eliminated the problem.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Slipper

I am with wolfiewill, get a sponge filter. Free food source for your shrimpies.

LadyMario

use women's pantyhose, you can grab some at the dollarstore and cut it up :) I put some on my filter intake and my babies didn't get sucked up!
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧