New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is this a red empress juvenile?

Started by hbrad, March 21, 2017, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbrad

So i recently added 3 new cichlids from my lfs and asked for the red empress cichlids. After getting home I had doubts that was what i recieved so i looked online and i fear i am right as the juveniles i have seen have a horizontal line down there body . I called the lfs and asked what the other species of juveniles in the tank is and was told electric blue cichlids....     guessing that they mean Sciaenochromis fryeri. 

hbrad

fish finatic

Yep. More than likely what you got. Not red empress. That's for sure.

hbrad

thats what i thought thanks for the help now to see if i can swap them out for the correct fish

fish finatic

Unless you really don't like them or truly want red empress I'd leave them. Fyeri are very beautiful fish once full grown. My male was one of my favorite fish in the tank. Hope you LFS will make it right.

hbrad

definetly a beautiful cichlid but topping out at 9 " will likely be to big as the majority of its tank mates will end up being around 5".  i have 3 labs,  1 red zebra, 2 o.b ,1 cobalt zebra, 3 jewel cichlid in a 90 gallon. Called the lfs and i can return them no issue.

hbrad

i do have a spare 50 gallon tall tank. do you think that would be large enough for 3 S.Fryeri  fully grown?

fish finatic

If that's all you put in there then yes that is perfectly acceptable. They would do very well in there. You could do sydonotis catfish with them too.

hbrad