New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tanked

Started by Mike62, March 28, 2017, 12:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike62

I saw my first episode of Tanked, and was wondering...how in the world do they manage to put fish into a tank that hasn't cycled? In fact, they are putting fish into a tank that was only filled about an hour beforehand. Plus, the tank they built into a childrens hospital was a saltwater tank without a single piece of live rock. And these guys are supposedly the largest builders of custom tanks in the US. What do they know that we don't?
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

bergenm

The most likely option is they do the same thing that they do in the retail pet trade when opening a new store - bring in fully cycled filters.
Michael

Mike L

Agree about the filter. We also don't see the actual time frame. It's possible that the project happens over more then one day. Editing is done heavily on all shows particularly reality.
As an aside. I'm not a fan of the show. While I have watched a number of them the 2 tanks I saw that they did cichlids(my wheelhouse), they mixed species that will not be compatible on the long run. I saw them put haps and Mbuna in a 24 inch wide by 3 foot vertical tank. Not good at all. And maintenance would be a..... Maybe some salties can chime in given they seem to do mostly salt.
Mike

lucius

Actually you can tell that the show is shot over a period of time.  In all the recent episodes, Wayde has a huge zit on his nose at the beginning of the episodes.  At the end of the episodes, he has no more zit.

Mark

I like the show as well, would like it all the more if they said what the cost of each tank is  :)
Well and truly hooked.

veron

Those setups for sure are not one episode, The saltwater they use is from the ocean and filtered etc,, for parasites.
Plus, I'm sure they go back after the show and possible remove some of those different fish.
Don't forget, it is a show.

Calico3

I am sad the show has ended , I recognized that a lot of the production was edited for TV . However I will will miss the picking of the fish and the weekly  " fish facts "  . Also so many of the tanks looked similar and few were real planted tanks. Unfortunately its the end of the show and probably the end of a family based business . Too bad.