New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

To remove females or not to remove them...that is my question.

Started by dark_rain, April 05, 2017, 12:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark_rain

I have a 90 gallon Peacock cichlid tank, couple mbuna, couple haps. Ultimately I would like the colors to be the best they can be, while not having a really aggressive tank. My tank has more than a few females that I've been thinking about removing. In everyone's experience, what should I consider here?

Thanks.
90 Gallon low-tech planted tank (Anubias, Java Ferns, Crypts)

55 Gallon planted starting from scratch w/ Eco-Complete

Mike L

With few exceptions mbuna are best left by themselves with lots of rocks. The haps and peacocks can work but not all. What is it that you have, sizes.
Mike

dark_rain

None of the fish are very aggressive, and I'm not looking to remove males. The question was more what would happen if I removed the females, leaving mostly, or all males? I've had to remove a male or two in the past that got too over zealous as tank boss.

Mike L

Many people have male only tanks, so no problem. My questions still stand though.  Most Mbuna are very aggresive and will likely attack the haps and peacocks to there detriment. Plus mbuna like lots of rock work while the others prefer a mostly open tank. As an aside if all these fish have grown together from juvie size things might work for a time but I still think your not going to see the best look from all your fish.
Mike

dark_rain

I have;

Red Top Ice Blue Zebra (male)
Yellow Tail Acei (male)

Livingstoni (unsure)
Red Empress (female)
Borleyi (male and female)

Featherfin catfish (not sure)

jewel cichlid (female due to small size)

Peacocks (m and f) including, Eureka Red, Sunshine, numerous OBs, dragon blood, albino dragon blood

perhaps a couple others i cant name

limmer

I don't think it really matters if you leave the females in or not.
With cichlids males will still be aggressive to others in their territory.
There will always be a boss in the tank.
I have some female ob's mixed in and they don't seem to be picked on too much.
With cichlids it is better to have the numbers and aggression can be spread around.
Just my opinion.