New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

So fed up with my Ecco Pro 60

Started by Kelly, April 05, 2017, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

Every time i do a filter clean I have the most miserable time trying to get my Ecco Pro 60 to prime. I looked on youtube for help and checked Google but to no avail, I am almost ready to say out with the garbage. It's my one and only Eheim. I have never had any issues with my Fluval 306, I guess it's time to replace the fairly new but horrible Eheim with a reliable and easy to use Fluval.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Jody

What is the problem you are having with it Kelly?
I have a couple here, and love them. They've been running for the better part of 20 years.
Is it a problem purging the air in them?

Jody

Gilbotron

I don't have that model but have a similar Eheim and used to swear at it all the time until I realized the intake hose was too long and had a slight "U" in it which was preventing it from filling properly (basically forming a trap).  To prime it, I just lift the hose a little to straighten it and it primes without fail.  Can give that a try...

charlie

Quote from: Gilbotron on April 06, 2017, 10:09:23 AM
I don't have that model but have a similar Eheim and used to swear at it all the time until I realized the intake hose was too long and had a slight "U" in it which was preventing it from filling properly (basically forming a trap).  To prime it, I just lift the hose a little to straighten it and it primes without fail.  Can give that a try...

I have experienced the same thing with the tubing

I have 3 models of eco line and I just fill them by siphoning tank water into the filter  (need to place canister in a bucket or container) install motor cover,the excess water will be forced out thus the need of a container, attach hoses , plug in and away it goes

Regradsv

exv152

I swear by my eheim canisters. They're the best canister on the market bar none. The key for me is to eliminate all air pockets (in the tubing & canister) before you plug it in. Runs like a charm. Then to purge any excess bubbles I just tilt the canister from side to side. This is not the manufacturer's recommendation. Eheim recommends something similar to what Charlie ^ describes here above. But I've never had any issues with my priming method, and I've used it on the classic series as well as the ecco series canisters. Extra long tubing, holding the canister too high (it has to be below the tank), dirty impeller, kinked hosing, or blocked out/input can all contribute to priming issues IME.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Mike L

That is my method as well. Fill my cannister in the slop sink with my water conditioner and fresh tap  water, connect, open supply taps, then return taps. Plug in and leave it alone. Even if air is present it will purge fairly quickly.
Mike

Kelly

Finally got it going, it's the only filter I resent having to clean. I don't know why it's such a pain in the butt, the hoses are only 4 feet at the most with no sag in them. Maybe I should try the bucket priming, that's how I got it going but it made a mess on the floor. Thanks for trying to help out.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Mike L

Like many things, the first time is not the charm, but you will figure it out and it will get better I believe.