New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ordering Fish through LFS

Started by CC-Slider, April 06, 2017, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC-Slider

This question is more for the Owners/Managers of our LFS's on the forum.

Do any of you make special orders for fish and if you do what are the conditions to do so.
Now I am not looking to place an order now but maybe in a few weeks once my 180 is up and cycled.
Now you may already have these in stock if so Great.
Kuli Loaches min 6
Tea cup Platies  min 6
Green Laser cory's  min 6
Guppies (have not made up my mind on the type yet)

Now if you do have them in stock now I could take them as my 29G is up and cycled and I only have 4 Albino Plecos in it along with a hundred Snails that came free with my plants (what a deal got to love free stuff) :)

(I don't have a car so visiting all the LFS  just to see what they have at the time is not possible)

I do love it when you do post all of your new arrivals, please keep that up.

"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

limmer

Not an owner/manager.
There is an OVAS auction this Sunday.  Maybe you can find what you want there.

CC-Slider

Quote from: limmer on April 06, 2017, 11:23:47 PM
Not an owner/manager.
There is an OVAS auction this Sunday.  Maybe you can find what you want there.

Unfortunately I work 12 hr shifts over the weekend and get off at 8 am Sunday and have to be back at work by 8 pm Sunday Night so I either sleep or go to the Auction guess what I am doing :) zzzzZZZZ

limmer

You can always pop in, pay to get your item moved up.

I have seen most of the stuff you want stocked at the LFS at one time or the other.
If you are like most of us, you can't pass a fish store without going in.

charlie

Quote from: CC-Slider on April 07, 2017, 01:53:23 AM
Unfortunately I work 12 hr shifts over the weekend and get off at 8 am Sunday and have to be back at work by 8 pm Sunday Night so I either sleep or go to the Auction guess what I am doing :) zzzzZZZZ
Perfect time to get off  ;), - light breakfast at the Prescott - arrive at auction venue by 9.30 /10.00, view items - see what you would like - pay a dollar to move it to table # 1 - bid- go home sleep  ;D, how is that  for a perfect Sunday :P

Gilbotron

I too am looking for some special order items.  Some real rare species (flora and fauna).  Some exotic loaches and cats I have been regularly checking stores for, and have yet to find some after a year of searching.

Any info on special orders would be much appreciated.

charlie

Guys , something to keep in mind with LFS and special orders.
In almost every case the LFS needs to order a minimum  quantity before the wholesaler will even entertain  the order, most times those minimum quantities are way more than we as hobbyist needs or buy.
I found that the best way to do this is try to get a group buy of the specific fish and see if you can attract other buyers to help boost the quantity.
Regards

Jody

Hiya folks,

We do offer some specials orders, though it all depends what is available. Common stuff is pretty easy, just keep calling or checking in and you will get it before long.
Rare or exotics can be a bit trickier, as there are certain suppliers we don't order through often but may have some stuff. Of course, there tend to be some minimums or the prices go up. I could order you one rare cichlid, but the associated costs on it could add another $50 or more to the price.
If there is something more rare you are looking for. pm me and I can s

CC-Slider

Quote from: Jody on April 07, 2017, 02:51:16 PM
Hiya folks,

We do offer some specials orders, though it all depends what is available. Common stuff is pretty easy, just keep calling or checking in and you will get it before long.
Rare or exotics can be a bit trickier, as there are certain suppliers we don't order through often but may have some stuff. Of course, there tend to be some minimums or the prices go up. I could order you one rare cichlid, but the associated costs on it could add another $50 or more to the price.
If there is something more rare you are looking for. pm me and I can s

Thanks Jody for the information

So basically if I wanted say 6 tea cup platties and you did not have them, You would try to place them on your next order with your supplier if he has them. And if he does this will help to keep the cost down for both of us as it is combine with your normal order, and when it came in I could then come and pick them up.

If this is correct, it is exactly what I was looking for.

Jody

Sort of..lol
If we don't gave something you are looking for you can always ask the guys who do the fish ordering at the stores if they are able to get it in. They can try to keep an eye out for it. Some common stuff is readily available other fish may never show up on the commercial lists..or maybe show up under a different name. But, in all honesty, everyone is busy at the store, so keep checking in and asking about them..don't rely on us calling you. We use the lists more as reminders than actual special orders for fish. Rarer stuff PM me.