New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Return to Hobby

Started by dan2x38, April 14, 2017, 10:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

After being away from hobby several years due to health here is my new build a 55 gallon planted effort. Hit the Giant Auction to add to some plants I'd already acquired. Bought the tank & stand from Kijiji from some questionable characters who burned me for the filter. Bought another filter Aquaclear 50 to get things going but another Kijiji character ripped me off with a cracked body. But an OVAS forum member sold me a AC110 for a great price!

For some weeks did a fishless cycle using pure ammonia. Then got a filter contribution from another forum member who swapped me for some media out of his filters lava rock and old dirty filter floss for some java fern. Bought beautiful piece of driftwood off of Kijiji but it needed some work befor being aquarium ready. Took about 6 hours to clean up picking every tiny crevasse. Then tied to a rock with fishing line but it floated. Got a larger rock tied it with fishing line - that did it. Added a small terrace on the right side always wanted to try this. Then finally added 10 Cradinal tetras, 6 Punctatus corydoras and 4 female Kribensis pelvicachromis pulcher. Later will add some rummynose and German Rams.

For lighting replaced the old 18" lights with a dual 4' florescent shop fixture. Then added 2 LED retrofit bulbs. They replace 2 inline 15 watt 18" tubes with 2 x 4' 35 watt tubes for 70 watts at 5000 kelvin and 2150 lumis for $49 at Home Depot. Great thing this setup supplies light full length of tank. For now will be using a dual bottle DIY CO2 rig see my gallery for example. Picked up some high yield turbo yeast for making vodka so it still produces CO2 at alcohol levels as high as 20%. This time found some cool DIY CO2 parts should make the rig easier and more stable pressure wise. With some easy dry ferts, these lights and basic CO2 have had lots of success in the past - suspect I will again...  8)

Used playground sand about 70 lbs which is washed (when purchased) and child save so it is fish save, have used before no issues. Nice thing 50 lbs is only $6 at Home Depot. But it takes awhile to clear up about 2 days. Then to polish the water added some active carbon to the filter. It came without media so added red lava rock in cut off piece of panty hoses - the rock is small about size of a quarter allows great water flow. Added fiber floss for pillows from Michael's $7 large bag. I did get a sponge with the filter so cut in length ways so I could cut a piece for filter pick up.

So plants are holding, fish are swimming and I am enjoying my first tank in years. The family also loves it... now just got to figure how to sneak another tank in without my wife noticing... Ideas? ;-)  
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

bergenm

Welcome back - Nice looking setup!
Michael

Laura

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Kelly

Nice looking setup, I'd be concerned about those female Kribnesis though. I bred kribs for a while and found they were far too aggressive when they had fry. I kept one of my fantastic colored females and now she's about 1 year old and her belly is swollen and red as can be, and even though I don't have a male she dug out a cave like they do when they are ready to spawn and has been very aggressive towards any other fish that comes near her den, and if you don't know they get aggressive to the point of killing other fish. I'm thinking about housing her in another tank just because she is the most beautiful Kribensis I've ever seen.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.