New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Build My Led (BML) replacement ballast (power supply) information

Started by Dxpert, April 27, 2017, 07:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxpert

I recently had the ballast (power supply) on my BML light die.  Unfortunately, it was one month out of warranty. When I called warranty service at BML, although they couldn't warranty it, they did recommend that I match the electrical specifications exactly and purchase a new one. I spent hours researching, and trying to find a Canadian supplier that had the exact product I needed. Eventually I found http://www.futureelectronics.com they had the following part:

EUC-075S140DT      1   $51.7995   $51.80
   EUC Series 75 W 1.4 A 54Vdc Out Max Dimmable Outdoor Constant Current LED Driver

Even better it shipped from Canada so there was no duty or exchange rebate to worry about.

I know a number of us have BML LED's so I figured I would share my research in case anyone else needs this replacement part.

Once you receive the replacement ballast you will need to cut the connectors off the old ballast and solder them onto the new ballast. I would be happy to help with that process for anyone in the Ottawa area.

exv152

Dxpert - thanks for sharing. How did yours burn out, did it overheat? I've got mine mounted to a panel/board, along with my apex accessories, because I noticed they can get quite warm.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Dxpert

Yes, I suspect that temperature played a large role in the power supply burning out.

Have a look at the attached graph from this spec sheet.
http://www.inventronics-co.com/upload/EUC-075SxxxDT(ST)_2013070109232729611.PDF

As you can see if the temperature of the case is higher the life of the unit declines rapidly.

I also suspect that because I was using a fairly long dimming(ramp) time in the morning and evening this also contributed to the power supply being hot. I think that when I ran the unit at anything less than 100% it will heat up more. I don't know this to be a fact. I should test it out.