New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Back Again

Started by gerryo, May 18, 2017, 10:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerryo

I have been away mostly for the last 4 years, and was Fishing in salt water before. 

I have a need, apparently, to be fishing for something, and am wondering if I should try fresh water again.  I started with fresh a long time ago, and think it would be easier than salt for me now.  I like the many colours of the fish and the corals with salt, but the challenges are greater, and right now I have a need for simple.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

gerryo

charlie

Welcome back!!My heart want to say go planted ;), but that maybe a bit bias coming from me :P
However i noticed that the colors of fish and Coral from the marine side of the hobby seem to be an attraction so i will say this.
A well planted tank can satisfy the the pop and color you seem attracted to, but it may not be the simplicity you seek and could be just as challenging as some marine tanks.
Then there is the African cichlid tanks that can possibly satisfy the color thirst, as well as a simple planted tank with Discus for lot of color appeal, but once again may not be the simplicity you seek , it all depends on what you are comfortable with and the size of the tank ( discus and Africans should be kept in larger tanks 4 ft and up..
Regards

Gilbotron

Welcome back!

Sometimes simplest is what we know best, so in your case salt might be the way.  However freshwater does have less complexity and can be more forgiving.  I'm a planted guy so will always advocate for that!

When you say simple, are you referring to learning curve or maintenance?  If its the latter, I recommend you check out Walstad tanks (natural planted tanks using dirt).  With young kids at home it was the only way I could start getting into multiple tanks to satiate my desire for more fish types and more plant types without more maintenance.  When done right, they can be almost no maintenance.  On the downside, if your an active hobbyist that likes to tinker and re-scape continuously, they aren't conducive to that.

Yes, freshwater doesn't have the same bright colour options, but there are a few available as Charlie listed (plus a few others).  However there are some great schooling options that can be as rewarding in visual appeal, and even in smaller tanks.

If you want more info on Walstads, feel free to PM me.

exv152

Welcome back. I suggest a low tech planted tank with low LED lights, easy to grow plants and lots of colourful shrimp, and micro fish. You get the best of both worlds - easy maintenance and a stunning all natural display.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

veron

Is the tank in your pic, the one your filling? looks nice. I've Pm/d ya regarding some tips etc.. 8)

gerryo

I could not figure out for the life of me what you meant, veron.  I forgot that I had a gallery before and of course it follow along with the name, not the time.  That tank and cabinet are long gone.

I am nowhere near to the place where I will be ready to buy fish.

Besides that I also am thinking in terms of salt.  I see some small salt systems that I was interested in 4 years ago and the urge is still there.  Obviously more research is needed.

One of the first interests to deal with is the small (Nano) salt tanks, so will be asking questions about experiences with them.  I have this idea for a Nano salt tank, and wonder if anyone has any experience with this?

I have always had regular salt tanks with fish, corals, live rock, inverts, etc.  Never tried a small FOWLER tank and wonder if it could work.  That is Fish Only With Live Rock, only this would also include some small corals.

Sounds strange, but I think corals could be included.

Gerry

fish finatic

I'm a huge advocate for nano reefs. I prefer them to larger reefs. If you have any questions feel free to message me. They to me are more fun to maintain with the variety of corals and fish in a smaller reef setting which fits anywhere in the house when compared to a large setup. I do freshwater as well and can say that discus and cichlids can also fill the void for color and simplicity. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide my good sir.

Happy fish keeping
Mason.

PDan

[content removed by member]
... make me to know my length of days.