New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where do you buy dry fertilisers?

Started by sippingtowel, May 24, 2017, 01:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sippingtowel

Greetings everyone, I'm a newbie attempting to start a 20 gallon planted tank, while saving as much as I can. I've read that dry fertilisers are the way to go in terms of cost efficient dosing for plants. Is there anywhere in Ottawa where I can purchase them for a reasonable price? I notice the sticky we have for vendors is a few years old.

Thanks!
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

charlie

They are some hobbyist that at times have excess, try the LF classifieds,or B&B hydroponics.
http://www.bandbhydroponicgardens.com/
Regards

exv152

I second "B&B hydroponics", and they're now open Saturdays too. Very cheap & convenient.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sippingtowel

Yup went to see if B&B had any, and they indeed do. They had something called "Chelated Micronutrient mix" and I notice it has copper in it, if I decide to get some shrimps will this be bad?

Analysis is:
Iron - 7.00%
Manganese - 2.00%
Zinc - 0.40%
Copper - 0.10%
Boron 1.30%
Molybdenum 0.06%
EDTA(ethylene diamine tetra-acetate) 42.0%
Chelating agent 13.00%

They also have Mono Potassium Phosphate (P2O2 and K2O)

Sulphate of Potassium (K, K2O, S, SO3)

Calcium Nitrate (Nitrogen, Ammoniacal Nitrogen, Calcium)

Any of these good for the aquarium? If so which ones? Is this enough micro/macro for the aquarium?

Thanks
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

Rex

If for some reason B&B isn't an option, I ordered mine online (along with a few plants) from www.theplantguy.ca
He's based out of Winnipeg, shipping was fast and customer service was great (I bought the Estimative Index product and he mistakenly sent a second 500g bag of KN03 instead of trace elements, he send out a replacement bag of trace asap and let me keep the extra KN03 :)

sippingtowel

How much did you pay for shipping?
Also I notice that the Estimative Index product gives only 2 Macro products. Potassium Nitrate and Mono Potassium Phosphate. What about Magnesium?

Rex

Three macros technically as there is enough potassium in both of those to cover that. Shipping I believe was around $20 but I opted for the fastest shipping as I had live plants in the order. Cheaper shipping was around 13 I think.

As for magnesium I get that from dosing seachem equalibrium (dosed once a week after water change to raise GH). If you notice deficiencies and require magnesium dosing, apparently epsom salts do the trick. Otherwise the EI dosing doesn't call for added magnesium. I use the calculator here for my dosing:

http://www.aquariumcalculators.com/aquarium-plant-food/estimative-index/

wolfiewill

I just picked up on this post and have several comments.

City of Ottawa water has enough magnesium and calcium if you are doing EI and frequent water changes.

Potassium nitrate and mono-Potassium phosphate are the macros required and I have bulk quantities of both.

I agree with Gilbotron's method and use Equilibrium to top up calcium and the GH since I don't do water changes very often (I use the PPS method). Epsom salts is magnesium sulphate and is the best source of magnesium if you really need that, and I have never had to dose it.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Gilbotron

Wrong Gilbotron... I've never used Equilibrium.

I use baking soda for Calcium and to stabilize my pH (by increasing kH).  For some reason I have very little carbonates in my water so pH continuously drops (from 7.2 to 6 within a week) if I don't buffer it.

charlie

Not intended to be disrespectful or negative in any way.
I would suggest if you can come out on Sunday ( see thread " Montreal is coming"), this will give you the opportunity to see some set ups and talk to other hobbyist one on one, you will be surprised how much better it than on line forums.
Alternatively , i would be happy to talk to you in person or by phone.
We all were where you are in this hobby, so don`t be shy - learn from our mistakes and experience  ;)
Regards

sippingtowel

Out of curiosity, how long would you think 500 grams of KNO3 and KH2PO4 would last in a lightly planted 20G tank?