New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Upcoming Season Ideas

Started by Jody, May 30, 2017, 01:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hiya folks,
  So I have a couple of ideas that I am thinking of working on in the upcoming season, and hopefully we can get interest from some of the members to jump in and participate. We can certainly start on these at any times.

Since there are quite a few plant people in our club, it might be fun see if there is interest in participating in the Aquatic Horticultural Awards.

Also, I would be willing to work with people for Breeders awards programs as well. I don't mind running/organizing this.

It is interesting to look through the lists of people who have achieved some of the awards in the past.
Errol Choo - Aquatic Horticulturist - 2007-08
Sean Kettle - Expert Aquatic Horticulturist - 2007-08 (this is OVAS's current AHA champion)
Ron Mckay - General Basic BAP merit - 1980-81
Jody McManus - General Basic BAP merit - 2005-06
Sue Maclean - General Basic BAP merit - 2006-07
Joanne Bockstael - Advanced Merit BAP award - 1985-86 (this is OVAS's current BAP award champion)

For more details on the awards, check out the link http://www.caoac.ca/awards.html

Also, I am considering working on a couple of newsletters for the next season, though I will have to figure that out.

Jody

Kalinkacat

Something I thought of last night to raise awareness of the club could be to join a charity event such as for the SPCA with a banner proclaiming OVAS.  I remember seeing that they have a dog walk event, don't know when it is though.  Animal lovers may turn into aquarium enthusiasts - that's how I got hooked. 

We could set up a booth with perhaps some small tanks with a variety of fish and landscaped tanks and I bet Big Als would love to take part in that to encourage making aquarium converts.

Also thought of the flood victims but that need is "now" so I don't think that would work out.

I will throw out other suggestions if I get any other inspiration.

Box Jockey

In the 2018 season the club would do well to increase activity/presence on Facebook. Maybe with weekly or monthly photo contest's, people love to show off their work! If anyone in the club has the technical skills an OVAS YouTube channel is another way to reach out to the public.

Have you done any community outreach? If the club got together I'm sure we could donate a fully setup tank to the local elementary school each season, if we volunteer to maintain it on a biweekly schedule it would ensure we maintain our connection to future OVAS members.
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

ksj

Im trained in video editing and production, if I can be of help.
90g with 20g sump - Endlers, Kuhli loaches, Betta, Pearl gourami, Salt and pepper cories, Ottos, Assassin snails, Unlucky trumpet snails
~Kim

charlie

Quote from: ksj on June 06, 2017, 03:50:48 AM
Im trained in video editing and production, if I can be of help.
Thanks for letting us know, i will be in touch.
Regards Errol