New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need help with soldering and/or drilling

Started by ksj, June 01, 2017, 06:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksj

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct sub-forum.
To fix the center support on my aquarium, I've come up with a plan to use 2 L brackets along with a strip of metal as a replacement. However I don't have any tools to bind the 3 pieces together.
Would someone be able to help me with this matter?
The metal is 18 gauge galvanized steel. I'm not sure if drilling matching holes or soldering is better with this.

https://ibb.co/fVPD2a
90g with 20g sump - Endlers, Kuhli loaches, Betta, Pearl gourami, Salt and pepper cories, Ottos, Assassin snails, Unlucky trumpet snails
~Kim

limmer

I don't think you can solder this.  Steel usually has to be welded.

CC-Slider

Galvanized  steel is usually spot welded. As limmer stated solder would not work as solder is normally  used to connect wires and to seal joints and  not structural. I would go with the drill matching holes and bolts. The shearing point of the bolts will be way stronger than any spot welds and easier to get done. If you go the drilling route make sure to get bits for steel. Get two 1 the size of your bolts and 1 half the size.  This will make drilling easier as you drill the small hole then enlarge with the next bigger drill. 1/8 to 1/4 in diameter bolts would  be strong enough depending on the width of your support. Min of two bolts each side or three in a triangle formation ( 2 side by side and the third one in the middle but off set towards the back) would work good. As for a drill a good corded drill is best, most cordless drills don't have strength for steel except the top end, while most corded  drills will do the job. If you don'the have one odds are a neighbour does or maybe a club members does.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"