New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30 gallon new set up - help and advice needed :)

Started by matttimms49, June 05, 2017, 12:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey Ovas,

So after the last meeting the bug has bitten again and I think that I am ready to make the leap to a bigger tank. I would like to set up something around 30 gallons in size and would would prefer a long aquarium if possible. I may even be persuaded to a 40 long :)

The hope is too have a freshwater planted tank with large groups/schools of tiny swimmers, Maybe Harlequin Rasboras, cardinal tetras, a big group of dwarf corys at the bottom as well as maybe a couple of honey gouramis. I really love tiny fish so would like to have something like this. :)

As my largest tank has been a 10 gallon and I have sunk some money into this one so I'm sure that the cost of putting a larger tank together will be a lot more money. I'm hoping for advice on how to keep the costs down for a larger aquarium.

For example should I get a bundled kit and upgrade the lights/filter? Should I piece it together separately? Should I custom make lights and a glass lid? What kind of stand do I need to get?

Any advice on where to get a 'long aquarium'?

Also opinions on lights and filters for this size would be much appreciated. I'm pretty happy with the aquaclear 20 on my 10 gallon, so I think I would do an equivalent model for the bigger tank.

This size aquarium is totally new to me so any advice at all would be great. Also if anyone has any thing that they are moving on and think would be appropriate please feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys,
Matt

Mike L

You will find that a larger tank is actually easier to maintain as it is more forgiving. The cost of equipment for the most part will be a little more but not substantial. In fact at 30 gallons you might want to consider going 55. Common tank size and good deals can be had. You can find all the equipment you need used for a faction of new. Even a tank, if you trust the seller but that might be the only thing I'd buy new. A larger tank will also allow for a more natural behavior in fish. A shoal of fish swimming in a large tank is quite a bit different then watching them in a small tank. Good luck and post progress pics for us.
Mike

lucius

There are two 30 gallons currently listed in the classifieds currently.  I keep hearing how a 40 gallon is better for aquascaping because it's deeper so this would be my choice.

charlie

Quote from: matttimms49 on June 05, 2017, 12:48:31 PM
Hey Ovas,

So after the last meeting the bug has bitten again and I think that I am ready to make the leap to a bigger tank. I would like to set up something around 30 gallons in size and would would prefer a long aquarium if possible. I may even be persuaded to a 40 long :)

The hope is too have a freshwater planted tank with large groups/schools of tiny swimmers, Maybe Harlequin Rasboras, cardinal tetras, a big group of dwarf corys at the bottom as well as maybe a couple of honey gouramis. I really love tiny fish so would like to have something like this. :)

As my largest tank has been a 10 gallon and I have sunk some money into this one so I'm sure that the cost of putting a larger tank together will be a lot more money. I'm hoping for advice on how to keep the costs down for a larger aquarium.

For example should I get a bundled kit and upgrade the lights/filter? Should I piece it together separately? Should I custom make lights and a glass lid? What kind of stand do I need to get?

Any advice on where to get a 'long aquarium'?

Also opinions on lights and filters for this size would be much appreciated. I'm pretty happy with the aquaclear 20 on my 10 gallon, so I think I would do an equivalent model for the bigger tank.

This size aquarium is totally new to me so any advice at all would be great. Also if anyone has any thing that they are moving on and think would be appropriate please feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys,
Matt

Mat ig your intention is to do an aquascaped planted tank, the 40 gln  breeder tanks are awesome for that, it offers a decent depth and since it's shallow, it is easier to light.
The con is tall plants will quickly grow out the top of the tank, unless  they are slow growing . For the faster ones will require you to be onnyopnog your trimming

Regards

matttimms49

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I am very tempted by the 40 breeder. I just like low tanks.  I work in animation so I guess I'm naturally drawn to a widescreen feel. It gives some nice options for wide scapes.

Also it seems cheaper to buy than a 'long' tank.

anyone got any ideas on if its cheaper to get glass cut locally than it is to buy a glass lid at a store. They seem quite expensive for what they are. cheers

charlie

You might find that buying glass and having it cut to be more expensive than the custom mad glass lids for the brand of tank, i have no first hand experience on this , but thought i`ll throw it out there to research.
Regards

matttimms49

yes it was just a though I had. Maybe if you had glass or acrylic sitting around from a previous diy project it may be cheaper. But as of yet i have not looked into it.

Good to know other peoples ideas and opinions though

Kalinkacat

Acrylic will probably bend.  Saw that at Wolfiewill's house and it makes sense since the heat from the light will heat the acrylic and the weight will bend it.

charlie

Lexan /Polycarbonate is more resistant to sagging, i use 2 on my 15 & 17 gallon ( 24 and 20 inch span) for sometime now with no sagging.
Again compare the cost factor, i would suggest 2 pieces as opposed to one piece if you go that route

Mike L

Was going to go that route for my 75 last year's. 4 pieces glass 20 bucks great. Then needed the hinge to connect the pieces. 15 x2 30 bucks. Back plastic for equipment pass through. 11 x 2 22 buck. Total 72 bucks. Buy at lfs 80 buck. One stop less gas used. Not worth piecing together.

matttimms49

yea I thought that it may not be that much  cheaper by the time you add in time and gas money etc. Plus I guess if you buy a branded top at a LFS then it will have some kind of warranty?

Plus 10% OVAS discount at Big Al's right? probably works out the same.

matttimms49

So managed to get my hands on a 40 gallon breeder  8)

Expect more questions soon!!