New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish tank in unfinished bassment

Started by matttimms49, June 07, 2017, 10:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey guys me again, looking for some more advice.

I'm hoping to set up a tank in my basement but it is unfinished and I'm wondering if there is/will be any problems with having it down there. It gets a bit cold in winter but our through air system is down there so it generally keeps it pretty warm. I have had my bass guitar down there over winter and there haven't been any problems with the wood warping or anything.

The main problem I can see is that the floor isn't perfectly level. Is there a way to cheat the area that the tank would be set up on?

I was thinking of using a skid and some spare wood to make the floor level for the area the tank will be on. Obviously I would make sure its super stable before putting anything on it.

Again any advice is welcome :)

lucius

Is the floor wavy?  My basement is slightly higher towards the walls so I had to place my fish tanks about a foot away from the wall.  I used shims to level it out.

Mike L

As mentioned us shims to get your level. HD sells composite shims that are impervious to water.
I have 4 tanks in my basement and that's all I did. Been up for years.

matttimms49

Ah OK, that is a good idea. Shims are relatively cheap right??

lucius

Not sure about the composite ones but the cedar ones come in a 48 pack and are quite cheap.

CC-Slider

"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

sippingtowel

let's say hypothetically we had an earthquake, wouldn't this become a big problem if somehow the shims become unstable/wiggle with all that weight pressing down on it. We did have a decent size earthquake a few years ago.
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

Vandruis

If we have an earthquake that can cause shims to come loose or unstable with 500+ lbs of water and rocks holding it down, then you've probably got worse problems to deal with then "Are my shims good?"

lucius

With the cedar shims, the weight will sink into them slightly and there is no wiggle especially if you use a mallet to hammer them in.

matttimms49

OK great.. Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I already have some shims so I'm good to go on that. Now just to get a tank!

Thanks Ovas

Kalinkacat

You can get Earthquake insurance...seriously, I have it.  So if my tanks get damaged because of an Earthquake, I am covered.