New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I got me a riccia fluitans, now it's floating everywhere

Started by sippingtowel, June 08, 2017, 11:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sippingtowel

Hey everyone, a few days ago I got me a riccia fluitan, I've learnt it was a nice carpeting plant if weighted down and was best grown by having it float to the top. Little did I know by letting this new plant float it broke and went everywhere, the substrate, on plants and on the the filter.     ::)

Am I suppose to put this on a mesh first in order for it to clump together and float? What about after? my GPH is 100 on a 20 gallon tank.
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

charlie

sippingtowel

Thanks, I've seen these before. But if I want the ricca to grow on the surface rather then on the floor, it looks like I do have to use a mesh. I was hoping to get nice clumps floating without restraints.
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.

Gilbotron

I've tried a few different ways, and no matter what, the stuff separates and gets all over.  Even if you do get it to carpet, new pieces that grow out will detach and fly around. 

I've only recently had success/luck floating a fairly large clump not tied to anything.  My flow/current is very steady (spray bar), so eventually any airborne particles will collect in the same area.  Fish do bump it and pull it, or if my current changes (like when I stick my arms in), it makes a mess again, but after a while it all collects in the same spot. 

wolfiewill

I tried Riccia too. And from that experience I have a joke: Where is the best place to grow Riccia?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

sippingtowel

wolfiewill

Where is the best place to grow Riccia? In someone else's aquarium. And by the way, SAEs will eat it.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain