New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Stiphodon gobies ?

Started by Kalemh, June 11, 2017, 11:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalemh

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone on the forum knows anything about stiphodon gobies. I saw some yesterday at critter jungle and was intrigued by them. I'm having trouble finding most information on them online. I was wondering how high of flow rates they need and if they will do ok in a high tech planted aquarium with mostly smaller fish but a couple of larger ones like kribensis. Also any general things people have learned from keeping them would be helpful
TIA

sidarnold

I would suggest talking  to Jason at Critter Jungle - he is keeping Stiphodons at home. As a rule they are stream fish and do very well in tanks with very good directional water flow. Their natural environment is fast-water mountain streams with cobble/rock substrate with extensive algae growth on the rocks - they graze on the algae surfaces consuming the organisms found living in the algae. Their is very little submerged plant growth. I d'ont believe they will do well in a high-tech planted tank especially with kribs but confirm with Jason. Their is a Facebook page called "Freshwater Gobies".

Cheers

Sid

Kalemh

I would like to talk to Jason about it but his hours are really hard for me to get in and talk to him so I decided to check in here thanks for the help Sid

Mike L

Maybe a phone call would work. You could set up a mutually agreeable time for both of you to talk. .
Regards Mike

zy1011

I have two in one of high tech tank with some apistos and it seems they are hard to breath in high co2 and low oxygen environment unless i keep the main filter running all the time.  I eventually move them to a low tech planted tank (also with apistos and threadfin rainbows) and they are happy. They do graze some types of algae from time to time, but  they can adapt to flake food or blood worm. 

Kalemh

What tank size do you recommend them for and what species do you have thanks

zy1011

here is my tank specs. I don't think it is recommended but it is for your reference.  However,  one of gobe is aggressive to the other one especially in feeding time, so I split them into two tanks now.

20g long

apistogramma panduro(2)
otocinclus(3)
stiphodon gobies(2)
threadfin rainbows(4)

Kalemh

What tank size would you recommend from your experience with fish for just one goby