New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

800 PSI for new co2 tank - is that normal

Started by Kalinkacat, June 15, 2017, 08:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalinkacat

Ok, I've taken the plunge and bought a 10 lb CO2 tank.  According to Errol, I believe (sorry I had just met you when you did the DIY presentation on CO2) I have a Milwaukee regulator.

So, I am sitting here tonight carefully following the step-by-step instructions and I get to the part where I turn the knob and read the High Pressure Gauge PSI.  It reads 800 PSI, is that normal?  It doesn't tell me what it should read.

If it is normal, I guess that means that I connected it properly?

There are two sets of instructions and there is a discrepancy with the bubble counter but I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not.  One says fill it half ways with water and the other says 2/3.  Does it make a difference?

lucius

800 PSI is normal as this is the pressure coming from a full C02 tank.

It makes no difference how much water you have in your bubble counter but just make sure you a check valve in between the bubble counter and regulator.

Dxpert

Yup, 800 sounds right. It's slightly variable depending on temperature.

When it reaches 500 make sure you get it filled again. There is absolutely no cost ($) difference between getting it filled when it says 500 or 400 or 300 or ... you get the idea. Once it reads 500 the liquid is all used up and the cost to fill the bottle is based on the liquid co2 weight. The risk is that the pressure drops fairly quickly once you have reached 500 and the risk of a "end of tank dump" with a single stage regulator increases. A quick explination is as follows: the regulator works off the pressure differential in the co2 tank. If the high pressure drops too low then the regulator can't regulate and dumps all of the co2 remaining in he tank into your aquarium. If you always keep the high pressure gauge above 500 you should never risk that happening and thus never risk killing all your fish.

Also for the bubble counter the amount filled doesn't matter. What I have done is filled it with mineral oil. That way it never evaporates and I never need to fill it. I'm lazy with tank maintinace.

Dxpert

Kalinkacat

I can't see how you can put a check valve between the bubble counter and the regulator.  Check valves have air hose tubing on each end right?  I took a picture since I don't understand how I can do that.  I am not computer savvy so I will hopefully get this up.

lucius

Those bubble counters are supposed to have a check valve built-in so you should be good to go.

Kalinkacat

Do I have to unscrew the bubble counter from the needle thing?  Are there different kinds of check valves because I really don't understand how I can put a check valve between the regulator and the glass vial.

Dxpert

You are fine, it looks good. Post a picture of the tank it's going on. :)

Kalinkacat

Step 8 says to unplug the solenoid and attach one end of the tubing to the nipple, and the other end to the reactor check valve.  They do not show a reactor check valve in the diagram.

Do they mean to unscrew the top of the bubble counter, put a cut piece of hose onto the nipple, screw the nut back on - thereby tightening the hose onto the bubble counter - THEN put a check valve (not supplied - but I have normal check valves) then attach the other part of the hose which goes to the diffuser.

Is that what they mean?  I think I am too tired to continue this experiment tonight but do you think I am understanding the directions right?

CC-Slider

here is a youtube video on milwaukee co2 regulator setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4j73F6i3S0 

you will find many videos for this.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

wolfiewill

The picture is not good enough to be sure, but there appears to be a cv in the bubble counter. Some of them come with them built in. You can also use air line cvs in a pinch - everyone does - but I've been around the block on these and now only use Dennerle cvs. All air line cvs will eventually corrode and fail (so use two, and check the gap between them often for water), and others that I've used also have an high failure rate. I haven't had a Dennerle fail yet. They are more expensive but they have been designed for just this end use. I would add the cv(s) as close to the rim of the outside of tank, or the in line diffuser as possible. 
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

There is no check valve in that bubble counter, one of the design flaws of that brand.
It's possible to get an after market bubble counter thst has a biilt on check valve from Big All's, Critter Jungle.
Regards

Kalinkacat

So I have to disconnect the bubble counter from the needle part? Then bring that to Big Al's with me tomorrow to get a new part.  So I need an after market bubble counter with a built-in check valve right?  Should I bring the whole regulator in with me or should the sales person know what I need?

Anything else I need to buy to get this monster working?

There was a reason I haven't tried pressurized co2...this is very discouraging.

charlie

Quote from: Kalinkacat on June 16, 2017, 07:26:13 PM
So I have to disconnect the bubble counter from the needle part? Then bring that to Big Al's with me tomorrow to get a new part.  So I need an after market bubble counter with a built-in check valve right?  Should I bring the whole regulator in with me or should the sales person know what I need?

Anything else I need to buy to get this monster working?

There was a reason I haven't tried pressurized co2...this is very discouraging.
It`s really not that complicated, a tad daunting the first time. The unit can function as is with the supplied bubble counter, the chance of fluid getting into the needle valve and solenoid is high, rendering the them inoperable at some point, the other thing i don`t like on them , is the BC screw base that threads unto the needle valve is acrylic and after some use it cracks and leak both fluid and gas.
The after market is metal base and a built in CV, keep in mind this is not bullet proof but a better option.
You want the threaded one, as depicted in the picture
https://www.bigalspets.com/ca/ista-2-in-1-metal-bubble-counter-check-valve.html?sku=80060.
Regards

wolfiewill

Quote from: Kalinkacat on June 16, 2017, 07:26:13 PM
Then bring that to Big Al's with me tomorrow to get a new part.  So I need an after market bubble counter with a built-in check valve right?  Should I bring the whole regulator in with me or should the sales person know what I need?

Hey, don't go to Big Al's. I have several I'm never going to use. I have the whole bubble counter with the cv in the base and it looks like it'll fit your needle valve. Just bring the whole kit here and we'll fit you up. This shouldn't be such a hassle, and it usually isn't. I'll pm you with details.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Kalinkacat

I'm happy to say that I got the co2, lights and plants going in my 55 gallon tank.  Picture attached.  I have 15 varieties of plants and was able to get the co2 and lights automated.

The sacrificial fish are all still alive and had babies.  They are sacrificial because I used topsoil for the base substrate and wasn't sure what would happen.

Once the plants are firmly established, I will start to populate the tank and move onto my next tank redo.  Not sure if that will be the 65 gallon or one of the 30's.

Thanks for all the help.

charlie

Happy to hear you got it all sorted out, let the fun begin!.
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the updated progress.
Regards