New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Odd snails

Started by Kelly, June 19, 2017, 04:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

Anyone able to tell me what kind of snail these are, must have hitched a ride on a plant. They burrow into the soil and pop up everywhere. They are multiplying very fast. I've managed to capture about 80 -100 from my planted 65 in the last few days.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

charlie

Gilbotron

Yup, trumpet snails.  I have MILLIONS if you need more!

I haven't found a snail eating fish to clean them up - the shells are too hard and they usually only come out at night.  I've tried with botia loaches (Zebra, angellicus, yoyo and dwarf chains) and my puffers don't eat them either.  If anyone knows any, pls post.

They're not bad - they do a good job of aerating the substrate and keep it clean just below the surface, but they can be a pain as they can pop plants out from underneath.  I like them - they're my nightly cleanup crew.

If you want to reduce numbers, you'll find lots on the glass an hour before the lights come on.  You can also drop zucchini or lettuce in at night and fish it out in the morning when its covered. 

Kelly

Thanks, at least now I know what they are and here I was blaming my fish for pulling some of my plants out. I think I'll just keep thinning them out since it seems that they're pretty harmless.

Jellyanne

Assassin snails usually eat them.
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

Kelly

I'll try some assassin's, i heard they don't bother nirite snails or at least I hope they don't, I don't want to loose those.

Jellyanne

They don't
they eat pond snails, bladder snails and the alikes, trumpet snails, ramshorns.
Maybe more... but they don't bother nerites
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

CC-Slider

From what I read assassin snails will eat any snail, They will even gang up on a bigger snail. If there is no snails to eat they will eat dead fish and other high protein fish food.

There is a lot of info on the web about this and most say assassin snails are opportunist eaters.  I would not take the chance, some say they have done it but they added pond snails to the tank to keep the assassin snails feed, but this is no guarantee the assassin will leave him alone.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"