New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate ideas

Started by matttimms49, June 20, 2017, 02:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbotron

Finally got the tank dirted and capped with the coal slag.  Bad lighting but as you can see the substrate is like sand but very dark.  Not quite black but close, and from what I've read it should not fade over time but will see.  If you look closely at the bottom you can see the colour difference between the dirt and the slag.

Will see how water parameters hold up over next couple days and weeks, although it won't be a true isolated test given I'm using a new kind of dirt that's a little higher in nutrients. Couldn't find my old faithful dirt anywhere! (MGOCGS)

CC-Slider

Thats the stuff from TSC correct. The two places I found both stopped carrying it.  :(

Looks great I even like the sparkle. The closest TSC to me is Kempville, I will have to call to see if they have it. Just need to know how big is the Tank you used it on and did you use the whole 50lbs. As I plan to use it on a 180 dirted.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

Gilbotron

Yup - TSC.  I had to go to Rockland to get it (15 mins from Orleans so not terrible).

It only comes in 50lb bags.  Thats a 29g (30"x12" footprint) tank and I used ~2/3 of the bag.  I put ALOT though - a normal person would have only used ~1/2 the bag or less (I had to stabilize the rocks and fill in the back right section to 5" depth).  I rinsed it quite a bit and I'm sure there was significant loss with that (much more than what you would experience with PFS).

For a 180 you'll need at least 3 bags but that might be cutting it close.  You should probably get 4, maybe even 5 if you plan on having some raised areas.

Going to test the water tonight and see if any ammonia, but might be a false positive from the new dirt I used.

Gilbotron

No unusual water readings with the coal slag after about a week.  Not even a hint of ammonia or nitrates. 

I added fish, a couple snails and a seeded filter on the weekend and everything seems ok.  Snails should be a good test if there is any copper in it.

So far this substrate has my vote as a an excellent and cheap alternative. 

CC-Slider

This may be to late but TSC has the White and black sandblasting sand on sale for 9.99. Yesterday and today.
"Quando omni flunkus, moritati"
"when all else fails, play dead"

Gilbotron

The white comes from different material so not sure what impact it would have on water chemistry.