New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Interesting info

Started by Mike L, June 21, 2017, 05:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

I recieved an instant read thermometer for fathers day. Accurate to within in 1 degree from 55 to 585 farenheit. Best rated in class 4 years running. One of the reviews by a customer said he uses his on all his fish tanks and was surprised at the discrepancy between his tank ones and the probe. I tested my 5 tanks against my old fashioned units all the same brand. 3 were out by more then 3 degrees, 1 was bang on and one was off by 1 degree. I have 4 tanks set at 78 and 1 at 81 for breeding purposes. Not sure what to believe. Has anyone done anything similar or have some ideas.
Mike

Bob_S

I have four tanks and about 6 thermometers' in use. Some of them give the same reading while others are +/- a few degrees. I noted the difference on the ones that are different (ie +2 degree or -1 degree).
I tested all thermometers in one tank and by default took the ones that were the same to be correct. So my norm may or may not be correct.
I bought some from LFS and others online; all look the same but have different names.
I don't worry much about the temperature but try to keep it consistent.
120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp

Mike L

Consistency is key. However at least with cichlids having a high temp say over 80 for long periods of time shorten the fish life span I wanted them at 76,78 but find some of the tanks a 81 82. They all appear fine and I have had breeding so maybe it is much ado about nothing. Just a discussion point really.
Mike

Jody

I have noticed a lot of variance in readings in different thermometers as well. Cheap digital ones can be very different from the glass ones.. It would be interesting to get a good reader to really see what thermometers were most accurate.

Jody

Mike L

I use glass ones in all my tanks. All the same model too. That's what I found so interesting.

lucius

I have a Canadian Tire one and it reads 1.9 degrees Celcius when I point it at bottle of water in my fridge.  My fridge is set to 2 degrees.

I use the same temp gun for my water changes and never had issues with it being too far off.

Mike L

Mine is a probe style and not infrared. Infrared gun don't actually measure where the laser beam point is  but a circle around it. The further away from the object the more inaccurate it is. Also reflective surfaces will give false readings. Not sure if water is considered reflective. They also only measure surface heat making them ideal for home inspections and such.

Mike L

I'm going to test all the. thermometer together in each tank and see if the reading are the same this weekend. I should note that 2 of the 5 units are newish compared the others that are years old. Will report back.
Mike