New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40 gallon freshwater planted tank

Started by matttimms49, July 25, 2017, 02:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

It's taking its time but the build has finally started!
Here is the current set up:
40 gallon breeder
Aquaclear 70
Fluval heater (thanks Errol ;) )
Substrate is Fluval stratum and pool filter gravel.

1st photo is the current hardscape work in progress.

Still need to build up the slopes and work in some spider wood 2nd picture is an idea for wood scape.

wolfiewill

I like your design. The way you've progressed the rock from left to right. I'd like to hear what charlie thinks. What does it look like after the wood has been added? Do you have more pics?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

matttimms49

I'm still trying to find the right piece of spider wood. The second picture has an idea of what the wood will be like but I would like to raise the top of the wood so it looks like its roots coming down into the rocks. Maybe by raising the ramp or adding another rock.

I guess I could also cover the top of the wood up with moss or a plant?

I'm planning on working on it this evening, so hopefully will have some more pictures. I have some other smaller pieces and gravel to add to help gradient the rock work into the gravel

charlie

Looking good Matt, you may want to try reposition the rock 3 rd from left so that it flows with the line of the others, just to compare.
Errol

matttimms49

yea that is a tricky area. I'm going to work on it a little more now I have some pieces of wood and smaller chucks of rock.

will update pictures over the weekend.

thanks for the advice guys

matttimms49

Hardscape is finally done. After cleaning off the mold that has grown in the wood I moved a few pieces round and am happy with how it looks. I guess the next stage is getting this thing planted!

matttimms49

And it's finally planted and full! Managed to get a nice mix of plants in there.

Rotala rotundifolia, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Limnophila sessiliflora, Anubias nana petite, Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini', Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' , Hydrocotyle sp."Japan" narrow leaf java and Staurogyne repens

Quite the mix but, there you go happy how it turned out. Tell me what you think guys.

Cheers

charlie

Great job Matt, can`t wait to see it filled in.
Regards

Jody

Jeff1192

Awesome. Love the hardscape that you did with the wood in the corner and the rocks
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

matttimms49

thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm looking forward to the plants growing in and getting some fish in there in the near future!

Cheers

matttimms49

can anyone offer advice on when it's safe to add Nerite snails. I've read/heard that its safe to put them in earlier than fish. Obviously fish are a week or two away but it's good to get snails in to control the chance of algae early right?

Cheers,
M

lucius

The nerite snails will tell you how they feel about your water quality.  They will climb out and end up on your floor like mine did.