New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

story:I'm very very close in getting rid of my green water without chem/uv sterl

Started by sippingtowel, July 25, 2017, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sippingtowel

Hi everyone I thought I'd share a story about my experience with green water algae and how I'm in a very rapid progress of removing it. This is without using chemicals or a uv steralizer. I notice that with my tank I at times will get some sun shining on my tank, sadly I can't stop it but I did the best I could. I would had screen shots but I sadly didn't do a before picture.

Steps I've taken:
1. Every week I do no more than 30% water change
2. Lights are the same at 6 hours on what I believe to be consider "high par" (chihiros light)
3. Dosing is the same, I'm doing pss-pro which involves doing small doses every day of micro-macro
4. The biggest factor that I've seen: With a DIY bottle containing poly batting material connected to a pond pump (i think this is called a polisher), every day or few days when I notice the batting material turn green, I would take it out and rinse it really well in tap water until it is close to white, or at least whiter then before. The batting material I use is from wal-mart and sadly it mats over time which I find is actually good! That means it is more compact to trap more of that green stuff or other things.

These were the steps I did to get rid of my green algae. By doing a water change and following step 4. I've noticed immediate results in clarity of my tank. Took roughly 1-4 days. The 1st day for me was a noticeable decrease in green water while the rest were smaller. This is all in an environment which sadly has some sun.
29 gallon using chihiros a-series, beginner/newbie attempting to do aquascaping/planted aquarium with fish and shrimp. Stocked with some pearlweed, riccia, crypt, ghost shrimp, b.mollies and neons.